· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I knew the "Tanked" guys knew what they were talking about! AP dumbs it down...

0 Not allowed!
    I was watching a video on youtube and saw this ad about setting up your first aquarium. The guys from the Animal Planet show Tanked were doing the commercial. I found it funny because I was just talking to someone a few weeks ago about how I know the guys from Tanked know what they're doing, but Animal Planet doesn't want a show about testing water and cycling tanks. I find it irresponsible the tanks they make sometimes. A quick google search and you can find a list of complaints from on screen customers of fish dying within a week. And is the ratio of people giving up on aquariums they're first year, is that true? If so, that's pretty sad! Anyway, just thought I would share! Commercial --->
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Amazon Sword, Java moss, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii.

0 Not allowed!
    If you ever watch one of the shows, you will see that they will never talk about filtration or even the basics of the nitrogen cycle. Most likely because that is not entertaining enough for their target audience. I don;t think the show Tanked was ever meant to be educational, only for entrainment.

I have always wished I could go a see (first hand, in person) how they have set-up a tank. That would be the only true way to assess how well they know what they are doing.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting point Cliff. To me, and probably many people in the hobby, they now come across as extremely incompetent which they obviously are not otherwise they wouldnt still be in business.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    they make wonderful tanks for sure, but i think they are falling short on their own advice in that video. they really dont cycle their tanks, but they dump in massive bacteria booster before adding the fish. on top of that the fish they add to certain tanks should never be in that sized tank. the fresh water tanks are their worst when it comes to the stocking. all this being said, would i consider buying a tank from these people? heck yea i would. would i consider letting them do all the leg work for stocking it or filtration? probably not. i find it funny when they did that tv tank for the little kid, the in/out tubes for what ever filter they were using looked to be 2" diameter.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    While I have not seen the show, I have seen examples of some of the tanks they made. While I may buy one and may let them decorate it, I will leave filtration and fish selection up to me.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    I would like to see updates of these tanks a few years down the road. I remeber seeing the phonebooth tank for sale shortly after the episode aired. lol.
    Thar she blows!!!

1 Not allowed!
    When I was on Las Vegas last summer I went to the ATM store to show my daughter their fish and birds. I talked to Wade and the General who were both in the store greeting customers. They seemed a lot more together than on tv and Wade was even educating one customer about some inappropriate stock in her tank (practice what you preach eh?)
    I noticed that the gumball machine tank from the serendipity cafe was sitting in the back corner of their warehouse empty, but I didn't ask them about it.

Later in the week I was at Ceasars palace so I went to that cafe out front for a snack and I asked the manager where the tank went. He said that the Las Vegas heat was baking the fish and they had to tear it down.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder if some of the tanks they create are just made for show and not actually made for use in the stores they place them in. They just want to show that they can do it. I would expect that's what would have happened with that gumball machine tank or maybe even the popcorn machine or the pinball machine, etc.

It's an entertaining show, but some of the things they do are ridiculous.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    I somewhat suspect based on their reply to a critique found online that some of the stocking we see on the show... is for the show.

Some of the issue with the show is that it seems the majority of people they are building tanks for (on the show) are not actually fish keepers. They are people that want a cool showpiece that do not have experience with maintenance to help them out... they just have these dream visions. (Winery in a wagon, Brewery in a Stand Brewer, etc.) They have quite a bit of disposable income to throw at the start of the project, but probably didn't do the long term maintenance and research thought process that really needs to go with it. So they end up over their head.

I did not see anyplace on their sites that discuss them doing maintenance. So once the customer has the tank, its up to the customer to maintain it. (Either themself or through someone else) And if you are starting from 0, even with the most glorious set up, you are going to have problems because of your own ignorance.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I saw an interview with them once where they basically said "our show is not educational in nature, it's entertainment to show what can be done with some of the cool custom builds we do. We can't possibly show the complexities of fish tank maintenance in addition to that content. if you want a fish tank, it is your job to go out there and learn how to do it properly."

That's not verbatim but in so many words.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress