· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Parrot mistake

1. Default Parrot mistake

0 Not allowed!
    Hey. I got home sunday from a short trip, couple hours to find one of my parrots severely wounded. The one on the left in the picture. I think I made a bad mistake. The orange one on the right is my old guy, about 5 inches. The orange one came next about 4 months ago, 4 inches now. Finally I got the yellow little 2 inch guy last about a month or more ago. So the two oranges were buddies, but changed when I got the yellow kid. The old guy suddenly became inseparable with the yellow guy. I didn't even realize this until looking at this picture. See them two all tight under their log, the poor odd guy out on the left and all the fins flared? Maybe I'm not right though. I'm quite in shock. In all my years of fish I have NEVER seen such a thing and so bad. They are all in with tiny peacocks and a crayfish, never any issues. The old guy has also taken to pecking me when I get near his log!
    So this poor guy is holding his own so far, moved immediately to his own tank, my old 20 gallon with only plants and snails left in it. His tail fin is gone. His anal and dorsal fins are fair but damaged as is the right fin. The right side of his body, just forward the tail fin is all raw. Twice yesterday I went to scoop him out because he was dead, but not so. At least today he has stayed upright just trying to tread water. Not eating, but they are all well fed so I'm not worried. He's in for a long recovery though I'm afraid! I'm so glad I wasn't "out for the day"!!! I may snap a picture of him tomorrow, sad as we are, maybe it will help some one avoid this mess!

IMG_1174.jpg
    55 Gallon community tank.
    55 Gallon Cichlid in progress.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    29 Gallon, Planted with my Panda Garra fry.
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

0 Not allowed!
    I had parrots, as well. Added new ones to older ones, etc. Never had an issues with them and never any fighting between them because they can not close their mouths to bite each other. A bit of pushing each other around is all and that doesn't destroy a tail fin. It does sound as you may have added a female and this sudden aggression you see in the larger one sounds as it has decided to spawn or already has. Are you sure this is a male?

Unless that tail fin has been damaged into the body of the fish, it should grow back. But how it got in that condition is another story. Frankly, I would suspect the crayfish. Perhaps the crayfish wants the parrots hiding spot. Because he has not posed a problem in the past does not mean he could not be posing a problem now. Crays have been known to be attackers of fish often enough in the past.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-08-2014 at 06:04 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply. I am not sure of the sexes at all. The way they have been protecting that cubby of the log, I thought spawning too, but never any eggs, and there's a nice flat rock for them right there too. I am 99% sure it's not the crayfish, nor the peacocks.
    I do think it's the large, oldest one that did it. Way back, I had to move him several times as he is a very aggressive chaser. Relentless. Finally, with him in his own tank, I thought he just needs a buddy and got the other orange one. All was great they were buddy buddy until I brought in the yellow one.
    I know how their mouths work (at least this one) and it is way more than a push around. Since he has taken to 'biting' my hand when I'm in the tank, it feels just like, identical, to a small electric shock. I wouldn't want to be smaller and on the receiving end of it!
    Here's a sad pic, sorry it's not the best I'm trying not to disturb it.

IMG_1087.jpg
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update:
    I feel like a dork! Lady Hobbs was right, and I didn't search hard enough. Of course they spawned! I have this tank up to a double window, but it is facing an enclosed dark porch. I happened to be doing some spring window washing, just kinda glancing into the back of the tank. There, on a big rock not seen from the front are hundreds of eggs! I'll try in a bit to get pics. Sooooo, common sense tells me I have two males and a female now. The victim being NOT the daddy. Who by the way is doing fantastic. 50% better than yesterdays picture. I'm very happy for that.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

5. Default Pic update:

0 Not allowed!
    Success, got a good pic. So now I am quite relieved and more happy. Mostly because I don't have a psychotic parrot. I know these wont hatch, but it's nice to see. See how the rock is hidden? And the flat rock I described in above post is where I was looking/expecting eggs if there were any. I won't be putting the victim back in, because as the pic shows, the little yellow one is fanning the eggs, with I'm sure is a female thing. So two males won't work. But my injured guy seems very happy roaming his tank now, he has a bit of trouble staying upright, left to right, but he will survive!

IMG_1182.jpg
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    So a side note - Thats a very pretty venustus.

On the Parrots... the males are sterile so it is very rare to get a clutch of eggs to hatch. (Im sure you know that) But I am also glad they are doing much better.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    So a side note - Thats a very pretty venustus.

On the Parrots... the males are sterile so it is very rare to get a clutch of eggs to hatch. (Im sure you know that) But I am also glad they are doing much better.
    Thanks! He's one of the more gentle souls in the tank. Yah, I know (above) they won't hatch. I thought of taking the rock out and taking care of it. But my parrot is the only one who got in trouble. All the others steer clear and mind their own business, so I'll just monitor the issue. Parrots, at least mine, are SO nosy! LOLOL
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.