· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Here's a danio to get you started! - Slaphppy7   

Default Beginner in Need of Help

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Everyone,

Let me preface by question by saying that I am very new to this. I have posted my question on other sites and received nothing but snide and critical responses, making me feel like a complete idiot. I am posting my question on here because, as I mentioned, I really need some guidance. Not criticism - I am the first to admit that I am not very knowledgeable. I recently got my first tank, it is 10 gallons, which I cycled naturally for several weeks. Once my water was fish-ready, I inquired at a few pet stores as to what fish could fit in my tank. I was told that I could add 5 Tiger Barbs and that some other small fish could be added in after a month or so.

My initial question had been seeking suggestions as to other fish which could co-habitate with my tiger barbs. Based on the criticisms I've received on other sites however, I have come to learn that I am torturing my barbs in such a tiny tank and that I should return them immediately. They seem very happy, active, eating well, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any productive insight you can provide.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I personally wouldn't add any more fish to that tank right now. Your fish may be fine now. But if you may answer, what size are the fish? Most stores usually sell young fish or juvi's as we call them.

A full adult will grow to about 3" in size. They ideally like to be in larger schools, the more the better with a minimum of 5 with higher preferred to help spread aggression among tank mates. As they mature you may find them getting aggressive as they are recommended to have a minimum of a 24" tank - somewhere in the size of a 30 gallon if possible due to their active nature.

here is some more information on the species - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...993&pcatid=993 and http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/tigerbarb.php

good fish for a 10 gallon (doesn't include the tiger barbs sorry)

- single male beta (can go with some of those below as well in same tank 10 gallon tank)
    - african dwarf frogs (i know not a fish but still work)
    - dwarf gourami
    - guppy
    - neon tetra's
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC jkelly.

A 10 gallon tank does limit one to what you can easily maintain but if you have extra filtration (say a filter rated for 30 gallons) and you keep up on weekly water changes ( 25% or so), a small tank can keep a variety of fish.
    Now Tiger Barbs as I'm sure you've come to find out, are a bit aggressive towards other gentler species of fish so you will not want fish that hang out near the surface or middle of the tank.
    I'm glad to read your Barbs are happy and eating well. As they grow you may want to increase your tank size.
    I'm sorry another species does not come to mind for your set-up at the moment but this is an active place.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Because I do agree with you but its hopeless to tilt at windmills - smaug   For finding the extra dollar! ;) - escamosa   For your nice tank, another neon! - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the rough reception elsewhere. I was a beginner once too, and I did the exact same thing...tiger barbs in a 10g. The advice here is really stellar, and helped me a ton.

From what I am gathering, you are not going to return the barbs? I assume you have heard the arguments why you should, so I will give the best advice I can for the situation. (I do, however, think it would be best to return them....but I can't make you.)

I would not put any more fish in that tank. There are several reasons, which I will explain without trying to offend.

1. Tiger barbs are very aggressive nippers, especially in small schools like yours. Any fish small enough to go in your tank would suffer their aggression.

2. Tiger barbs can grow quite large, given the chance. They can get around 3 inches. There just isn't enough swimming room in a 10g to accommodate more fish. There might seem like a lot of free space, but fish need room to swim without being crowded...most people use the "keeping a dog in a crate its whole life" analogy. They live, but it's not ideal.

3. Fish produce waste. Your filter can't properly handle the amount of waste more fish would provide. I doubt the filter you have now is even up to the task for your barbs, since they are larger, messy fish (not your fault, they rate them too large for what they actually can handle).

I hope you listen to the advice here, or you can keep wandering onto forums until you get an answer you agree with. I doubt a single experienced fish keeper is going to tell you to add more fish to that tank though.

Welcome to the forum!

<Ninja'ed by some good advice!>
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Here's a danio to get you started! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Thank you all, so much, for your thoughtful responses. It seems I have indeed been ill advised with regard to fish choice. I was be no means seeking for an opinion which I agreed with, but rather trying to get an understanding as to why this was a bad choice instead of just being scolded lol. That being said, I plan on taking them back to the store tonight. Seems they will be happier in the long run. Perhaps I will venture down the tiger barb road again in the future, with a larger tank. Any input as to stocking for a, what will soon be, empty 10 gallon tank? I really like the neon tetra fish. Would this be a good choice for a ten gallon tank? If so, how many and could I have any additional breed in there as well? Thank you again for your thorough and informative reponses.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    with a decent filter you could probably get away with

1x Dwarf Gourami
    10x Neon tetras and still be within the stocking limits -

I have a similar stocking plan but with some of those frogs I mention earlier as well. I am also running an aquaclear 30 on my 10 gallon tank. I also have driftwood in there as well along with some stones and a plant with soon to have more to help as well.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Because I do agree with you but its hopeless to tilt at windmills - smaug   For finding the extra dollar! ;) - escamosa   For your nice tank, another neon! - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Awesome! I am glad you are taking our advice!

Neons are PERFECT for your tank. What is your filter size? The bigger filter, the more fish you can have.

My 10g (before I upgraded) had about 9 neons and a betta. You could do about 12-15 with a good filter.

Or to mix species, you could get a single guppy with a school of neons.

There a quite a few combos, but you want to think SMALL. :) The pet store usually is not a good place for advice...if your fish die, they just sell you more and make profit.

Usually we suggest going to the pet store, note everything they have that you like, then come back here and ask for advice on if it is suitable or not.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    neons seem to be the the typical schooler for a 10 gallon.
    however, if you can find them, microrasboras, danio erythromicron, danio margaritatus and ember tetras also make good choices.

you could have a single "centerpiece" fish like Frozentundra mentioned, but I'd go with a honey gourami instead. they stay smaller and are much more peaceful.
    that is not to say that dwarf gouramis cannot work, but there just are more reports of dwarf gourami aggression than of honey gourami aggression.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - steeler1   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We can only try...lol - Slaphppy7   For helping me remember, and for all you do! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    As others have stated, your filter has a little bit to do with how big of a fish load your tank can handle. I had a ten gallon with a filter rated for a 30 gallon tank. I had 12 neons and an African dwarf frog.

There are different schools of thought on how to stock a tank.

Some like to have one or two really cool fish and nothing else.

Some want as many different types of fish as they can get.

Some want only one schooling species with as many members as possible.

If you decide on a small schooler I recommend doing a species only tank. 12 neons all shoaling around your tank looks really pretty compared to a mishmash of different fish.

The other thing you can do for some quick ideas is to search this forum for "10 gallon stocking" there are probably 100 old threads with this title where a lot of forum members list several different ideas and suggestions for that tank size.
    ~Manna
    120 gallon FW bowfront in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - steeler1   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We can only try...lol - Slaphppy7   For helping me remember, and for all you do! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh also, don't be afraid to really research the fish you want. There so many species out there that you may not be able to find locally, but if you find something unique that you want we can likely help you find a vendor to purchase it from online. Many of us mail order our fish and it's a great way to get unique fish that aren't commonly found in your run of the mill pet store.
    ~Manna
    120 gallon FW bowfront in progress