· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

0 Not allowed!
    Well, definitely THANKS for your help, but we simply don't see "eye to eye" on the minnows........and that's ok. There are animals and fish out there that have a major purpose and that isn't to be a pet. We don't have a guilty mind at all about using the minnows for cycling and then returning them to the store. I've had to many people tell me that it's fine to think any differently. On the other hand, will NOT use a BEAUTIFUL Betta for this purpose! I've read about people using their "pet fish" for cycling and they die. When there are fish available for the purpose of cycling and feeding ducks and turtles........use them!

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    I'm sorry for my part if you felt demeaned. Not my intention at all.

Let me lay this out for you as simply as I can.

You are seeking too much advice from too many sources. I read the full thread that you posted the link to and I saw a lot of the same stuff that is in this thread here.

You need to pick whose opinion you trust and then ask them for clarification when you need further assistance. You have said a couple times "this person on this forum told me it's ok." Well I don't know that person so I can't defend or explain why their opinion differs from mine. Same with the pet store. We will give you some advice and you'll come back with "well the pet store says this." then ask the pet store if you need them to clarify their advice.

You will find a lot of skepticism and negativity directed at pet store employees here and that's for a reason. We spend our free time on this forum day in and day out trying to help desperate people who have been Ill advised and spent hundreds of dollars on fish and inadequate setups that they brought home only to have complications with them getting sick and dying.

The pet store employee is there to sell you something and every time you have to go back and buy more chemicals and treatments for your sick fish, they win.
    This is not true of all stores, but it is my personal opinion that your store is misleading in their advice.

Lastly I will clarify one more thing. Fish in cycling is an acceptable method for cycling your tank.
    Many do it and end up with happy thriving communities.

I take issue with two things. The first of which is the assertion that fish in cycling is easier, that's just not the case.

The biggest problem I have is this direct quote from your post on the other forum
    "Just buy two or three "hardy" Minnows, like what we had (Rosy Red's) or Zebra Danio's, which are recommended for fish-in cycling. Why buy the "fish to keep" to do the cycling? Many people use these minnows for this purpose. The pet store will take them back and whatever they do with them is up to them. When we took back the two Rosy Red's, they were very healthy and had pooped quite a bit in the container we had them in when we returned them."

You will not get support from me to sacrifice the well being of a couple of random fish that you don't care about in the name of cycling your tank. They are not tools to use for setting up your tank, they are living beings for whom you are responsible.

Basically what you are saying is why buy the fish you actually want to keep long term and harm it by using it to cycle the tank? Why not go ahead and harm some random minnows and then return them to the store and turn a blind eye to their fate?

My response to that is why not just cycle the tank with your betta? If you are confident that it is not harmful to the fish and you intend to responsibly monitor the water to keep it at a safe level then go get your betta.

0 Not allowed!
    Now, here's a question: Do we put a pinch of flakes in the tank right now (tonight) or tomorrow AM to get bacteria going? I can't help the Petsmart employee told me to take the flakes out that I had put in yesterday.
    So, flakes in or not?

3. Default

5 Not allowed!
    Since you don't seem to like anyone's advice on here and you keep going back to Petsmart why don't you just ask them? You seem to trust their opinions a lot more than the others in here that have been giving really sound advice.

0 Not allowed!
    I ask a simple question about fish flakes and am waiting for advice, not comments like yours! Sorry, but really think your comment here was uncalled for! Just b/c we want to continue a fish-in cycle w/new minnows, doesn't mean we need "put-down" or criticized for that! IMO that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenalee View Post
    Since you don't seem to like anyone's advice on here and you keep going back to Petsmart why don't you just ask them? You seem to trust their opinions a lot more than the others in here that have been giving really sound advice.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, here are the very latest few minutes ago) water perimeters from testing with the API Strips here at home:

Nitrate: between 80 and 160
    Nitrite: 10
    pH: 7.5
    Ammonia: 0.5
    (hope our eyes are comparing the strips with the color code on the container right)

What are these numbers mean????
    Thanks!

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    No don't put in any flakes. While I don't condemn a cycle using fish I don't believe in disposable fish. Do a large water change on the tank and be sure to clean the gravel well. You especially want to bring those nitrites and ammonia down to under .25ppm and the nitrate down to under 20ppm. Get as close to all the water out as you can and replace it with dechlorinated water. Then go get your betta. Keep a very close eye on the water parameters and make sure the ammonia and nitrite stay at or below .25ppm. With fish in an uncycled tank you will need to test two to three times a day and change water every time ammonia/nitrite get over .25ppm.

Those numbers mean you have grown the bacteria needed to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, but not enough to convert it all over yet.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4 Not allowed!
    My troll-dar just went off, 7.6 dB...could be mistaken, I've been before
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I didn't say a word about which type of cycle you want to do. I am just noticing a trend of good advice followed by you freaking out during your reply. Do what you want man. Good luck to your tank.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    My troll-dar just went off, 7.6 dB...could be mistaken, I've been before
    Lol! Mine went off in his strip vs liquid tester thread. But like you say, we never really know.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.