· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    This is what was told me in another forum by someone with lots of aquarium experience:

"Whether you use pure ammonia or fish food to feed the nitrogen cycle, it's too easy to add too much and shut down cycle growth. When that happens, a good option is to do nothing for a few days."

0 Not allowed!
    So, without a doubt, the API Master Freshwater Test Kit is the best........right? Even for Beginner's, like us, it is THE BEST?

Ok, what about Prime Water Conditioner? Used it (4 eye dropper drops) on Monday when doing about a 50% water change w/vacuuming of the gravel and putting another live plant in. Put 4 more drops in yesterday.......advised by Petsmart after water test done.

Today (few minutes ago), looked at water and seen junk floating around. Looked like tiny pieces of fish flake. Done a 20% water change and added Conditioner. Research online yesterday, said to put a flake or two in to get bacteria going. So, I did. After checking water at Petsmart, told worker that I put flakes in and she told me to take them out.......don't want them, the test results said that. So, I used a baster and took as many as I could see laying on the gravel. Only had to add 8 oz. of water.

Now what? Just wait and check water tonight?

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...#ixzz2t8VsWehY

0 Not allowed!
    PEOPLE, we are TRYING to do the best thing and get this darn thing cycled!! Just b/c wife/I don't necessarily agree with folks on the fishless cycling, API Strips or whatever, that's no call for demeaning us!! As it is, a lot of people in these aquarium forums demean big pet stores fish/aquarium employees! We were told by one employee that our tank was cycled, to vac the gravel and change the water. Was he right, apparently not, but who is a Beginner to tell an experienced man like him (w/tanks at home) that he was wrong?

When I told my wife, over the phone, that I had taken the two minnows out, she asked me if I was going to put them back in. I told her "no" b/c I was told not to and that we were ready for our Betta. So, I didn't! I should have put them back in, but that's hindsight now! The minnows had a purpose.......to cycle our tank and that was it! They weren't going to be our "pet fish" in any way, shape or form! Take them out, give them back to Petsmart and that was the end of it. Get the male Betta and go forward. Well, obviously that "going forward" with the Betta isn't going to happen right away.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    The API master test kit is good enough for hobby grade testing and since it is what most of us use here we are better able to determine how the cycle is going with the results from it. Regardless of the cycling method used if you are still registering ammonia and nitrites the tank is not cycled. If I read all this correctly there has been no fish in the tank for at least 24 hours. You need to determine a course of action quickly before we can give advice. If there is not ammonia source you will lose what bacteria has already started to grow. Are you going to use ammonia or fish?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    other methods people have used that don't want to use ammonia is raw shrimp although your tank can smell a little bit but it is another option
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

6. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody13 View Post
    So, without a doubt, the API Master Freshwater Test Kit is the best........right? Even for Beginner's, like us, it is THE BEST?
    It's not the best test kit out there, but due to it's cost, accuracy, versatility, availability and relative ease of use, it is considered the best all around test kit for beginners and hobbyists on a budget.

Ok, what about Prime Water Conditioner? Used it (4 eye dropper drops) on Monday when doing about a 50% water change w/vacuuming of the gravel and putting another live plant in. Put 4 more drops in yesterday.......advised by Petsmart after water test done.
    The prime will bind stuff like ammonia and make it "safer" for fish. It's mainly a water conditioner for water changes but it is ok to use once in a while in extreme circumstances as a "stop gap" solution until a better solution can be found/obtained. You have to be careful not to overdose as it could have negative implications. For cycling you don't really need to use it to bind excess ammonia as you need the ammonia to cycle the tank

Today (few minutes ago), looked at water and seen junk floating around. Looked like tiny pieces of fish flake. Done a 20% water change and added Conditioner. Research online yesterday, said to put a flake or two in to get bacteria going. So, I did. After checking water at Petsmart, told worker that I put flakes in and she told me to take them out.......don't want them, the test results said that. So, I used a baster and took as many as I could see laying on the gravel. Only had to add 8 oz. of water.
    Just so I understand fully, your doing a fishless cycle with flake food as the ammonia source? If so here is a guide on how to do it (I haven't used this method myself so whether this guide I found is correct, I don't know):

ishless Cycling – Fish food method
    For this method you will need a tub of fish food and a test kit for measuring ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.This method uses decaying food to provide a source of ammonia that the cycle requires to start.

1) To start, drop a few flakes of fish food into the tank.
    2) Leave it for a few days and then test for ammonia.
    3) If there’s no reading or the reading is below 3ppm (Parts Per Million) drop a couple more flakes in.
    4) Keep testing every other day and add a couple more flakes if the reading is below 3ppm
    5) After about a week you can start to test for Nitrite in the water. Ammonia is converted to Nitrite in the first step of the cycle. If you can detect nitrite in the water then the cycle has start.
    6) Continue testing for ammonia and nitrite every other day and dropping a flake or two when ammonia drops below 3ppm. After a few weeks the nitrite level should start to drop and if you now start testing for Nitrate you’ll see Nitrate levels rise as the last part of the cycling process converts the nitrite to nitrate.

Here is the link for where I got that from. It is a good resource to help understand the cycling process of different methods such as ; fish in, ammonia, fish flake, shrimp and has some handy graphs and calculators to help you in the process: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/article...ng-article.htm

Now what? Just wait and check water tonight?
    Do a water test tonight and post the results of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, we can then determine where in the cycling process you are and then advice on the next steps for the fish flake method (If I am correct in that is the one you are doing)

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Aiden123; 02-12-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank: 2 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and MTS
    • 15 gallon: 1 Pair German Blue Ram, 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Threadfin Rainbowfish, a lot of cherry shrimp and MTS

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a newb too. Here is how we cycled our tank. It was ridiculously easy and we have a very happy and healthy tank right now.

Added gravel that already has some good bacteria in it. (purchased in bulk from LFS)
    Added prime to treat entire tank of water.
    Added a raw shrimp.

LEFT IT ALONE AND DID NOTHING FOR 1 WEEK. NOTHING! I watched the water move from the filter. That is ALL.
    After 1 week we tested with the API liquid kits. (Super easy to use and read) Ammonia level was midway up the chart and Nitrite was off the charts high.
    LEFT IT ALONE AND DID NOTHING FOR 1 WEEK!
    After the 2nd week we tested the water again. Ammonia was gone, Nitrite was coming down, and Nitrates were up.
    We added a large rock from our LFS and removed the pretty much disintegrated shrimp.
    LEFT IT ALONE AND DID NOTHING FOR 1 WEEK! (getting the picture? No stress....no fuss...patience)
    Tested the water levels. Ammonia and Nitrite were at zero and Nitrate was at 10.

Went to LFS and bought 1 school of 6 tetras and a bottlenose pleco. Used the drip method to introduce them to the tank.
    Tested the water every 2 days for the first week. Numbers all still looked perfect.
    After a full week of them in the tank, I did a 10% water change. After 24 hours I tested the water again. Numbers still perfect.
    I will continue to test the levels every few days for the next 2 weeks to make sure all is happy in fishland and then we will complete the remainder of our fish stocking.

It was super easy. There was no messing with ammonia. It just took some patience.

Default I Need...........HELP!?

5 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry for my part if you felt demeaned. Not my intention at all.

Let me lay this out for you as simply as I can.

You are seeking too much advice from too many sources. I read the full thread that you posted the link to and I saw a lot of the same stuff that is in this thread here.

You need to pick whose opinion you trust and then ask them for clarification when you need further assistance. You have said a couple times "this person on this forum told me it's ok." Well I don't know that person so I can't defend or explain why their opinion differs from mine. Same with the pet store. We will give you some advice and you'll come back with "well the pet store says this." then ask the pet store if you need them to clarify their advice.

You will find a lot of skepticism and negativity directed at pet store employees here and that's for a reason. We spend our free time on this forum day in and day out trying to help desperate people who have been Ill advised and spent hundreds of dollars on fish and inadequate setups that they brought home only to have complications with them getting sick and dying.

The pet store employee is there to sell you something and every time you have to go back and buy more chemicals and treatments for your sick fish, they win.
    This is not true of all stores, but it is my personal opinion that your store is misleading in their advice.

Lastly I will clarify one more thing. Fish in cycling is an acceptable method for cycling your tank.
    Many do it and end up with happy thriving communities.

I take issue with two things. The first of which is the assertion that fish in cycling is easier, that's just not the case.

The biggest problem I have is this direct quote from your post on the other forum
    "Just buy two or three "hardy" Minnows, like what we had (Rosy Red's) or Zebra Danio's, which are recommended for fish-in cycling. Why buy the "fish to keep" to do the cycling? Many people use these minnows for this purpose. The pet store will take them back and whatever they do with them is up to them. When we took back the two Rosy Red's, they were very healthy and had pooped quite a bit in the container we had them in when we returned them."

You will not get support from me to sacrifice the well being of a couple of random fish that you don't care about in the name of cycling your tank. They are not tools to use for setting up your tank, they are living beings for whom you are responsible.

Basically what you are saying is why buy the fish you actually want to keep long term and harm it by using it to cycle the tank? Why not go ahead and harm some random minnows and then return them to the store and turn a blind eye to their fate?

My response to that is why not just cycle the tank with your betta? If you are confident that it is not harmful to the fish and you intend to responsibly monitor the water to keep it at a safe level then go get your betta.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 02-12-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Fish! But, for now, should I put a pinch of fish flakes in the tank 'til we get the minnows this Friday? Need to get either save any bacteria we have and/or start some new, right? Will also get the Master Kit.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    The API master test kit is good enough for hobby grade testing and since it is what most of us use here we are better able to determine how the cycle is going with the results from it. Regardless of the cycling method used if you are still registering ammonia and nitrites the tank is not cycled. If I read all this correctly there has been no fish in the tank for at least 24 hours. You need to determine a course of action quickly before we can give advice. If there is not ammonia source you will lose what bacteria has already started to grow. Are you going to use ammonia or fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I read online about putting a pinch of flakes into the tank to get bacteria going, so I did that. A few hours after that, I did a API Strip test, but just couldn't figure out the match up of the Strip and color codes on the container that well. Wife and I been having a problem doing that! So, took a sample of water over to Petsmart and they used their Tetra Strips and the test came out high in both Nitrates and Nitrites. The girl told me that I needed a water change and I told her that I had just done that a couple of hours ago along with vacuuming the gravel. I also told her that I took the two minnows out that were in there. I then told her that I put a pinch of flakes in the tank for more bacteria and she told me to take any that I can see out. Guess she told me that due to the test results. Then she told me to put 4 more drops of Prime in the water. I done that. So, almost a 50% water change and minnows out. Now I think the minnows should have been put back in.

Done a 20% water change w/Conditioner this afternoon after seeing junk floating around in the water. Water looks much better now, but will test the water when wife gets home from work.

Don't know if I should put another pinch of flakes in the water or just leave the water the way it is until Friday. Plan on doing 3 more water tests before deciding totally on fish flake cycling or buying a couple more minnows and put in.
    Put a pinch of flakes in now???? Tonight???

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden123 View Post
    It's not the best test kit out there, but due to it's cost, accuracy, versatility, availability and relative ease of use, it is considered the best all around test kit for beginners and hobbyists on a budget.

The prime will bind stuff like ammonia and make it "safer" for fish. It's mainly a water conditioner for water changes but it is ok to use once in a while in extreme circumstances as a "stop gap" solution until a better solution can be found/obtained. You have to be careful not to overdose as it could have negative implications. For cycling you don't really need to use it to bind excess ammonia as you need the ammonia to cycle the tank

Just so I understand fully, your doing a fishless cycle with flake food as the ammonia source? If so here is a guide on how to do it (I haven't used this method myself so whether this guide I found is correct, I don't know):

ishless Cycling – Fish food method
    For this method you will need a tub of fish food and a test kit for measuring ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.This method uses decaying food to provide a source of ammonia that the cycle requires to start.

1) To start, drop a few flakes of fish food into the tank.
    2) Leave it for a few days and then test for ammonia.
    3) If there’s no reading or the reading is below 3ppm (Parts Per Million) drop a couple more flakes in.
    4) Keep testing every other day and add a couple more flakes if the reading is below 3ppm
    5) After about a week you can start to test for Nitrite in the water. Ammonia is converted to Nitrite in the first step of the cycle. If you can detect nitrite in the water then the cycle has start.
    6) Continue testing for ammonia and nitrite every other day and dropping a flake or two when ammonia drops below 3ppm. After a few weeks the nitrite level should start to drop and if you now start testing for Nitrate you’ll see Nitrate levels rise as the last part of the cycling process converts the nitrite to nitrate.

Here is the link for where I got that from. It is a good resource to help understand the cycling process of different methods such as ; fish in, ammonia, fish flake, shrimp and has some handy graphs and calculators to help you in the process: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/article...ng-article.htm

Do a water test tonight and post the results of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, we can then determine where in the cycling process you are and then advice on the next steps for the fish flake method (If I am correct in that is the one you are doing)

I hope this helps.