· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Just remember we were all fish noobs at one time to (some staying in noobdem longer that others...) but the it is important to have patience, ask questions and be willing to learn.

Other things to note, what size of tank are you using? Also remember with a fish in cycle you will only ever grow enough bacteria to handle the load you have in the tank. So you wouldn't be cycled if you got it done with 2 fish and then dumped 20 fish in there. The cycle would start all over. Where as a fishless cycle you can add more fish right away once it is done.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Default I Need...........HELP!?

2 Not allowed!
    I only had a chance to scan the last couple of posts in the thread so sorry if this is repetitive or I'm late to the party but I want to make a couple of points.

You said you were nervous you would get fishless cycle recommendations and that the fish in cycle was hard enough.

Fish in cycles are much more intense, difficult and demanding of your time.

With a fishless cycle you will likely only need to change your water one time. A fishless cycle can easily be completed in half the time as well.

A fish in cycle often requires daily water changes of 50% or more of the tank volume, is toxic to the fish and you will have to repeat the cycling process each time you add new fish as you will only be able to add them in small quantities.

The minnows you returned to the pet store may have "looked fine." But make no mistake that a fish in cycle (particularly when done with inaccurate test strips) is hard on the fish.
    You are basically having them live in a toxic environment and just keeping the level of toxicity low enough that it doesn't kill them. Fish in cycling can have a long term toll on their health and lifespan that you may not notice immediately.

In my opinion any pet store that will knowingly sell you fish for the purposes of cycling and then allow them to be returned for resale to a different customer who is unaware that they were previously used for that purpose is not a place that I would trust for advice or stock. Telling you that fish is "hardy" is basically saying it is hard to kill. The fact that a particular kind of fish can withstand more trauma before it dies from it hardly justifies treating it with less care than you would any other fish.

All that being said it is ultimately your decision how you would like to cycle your tank, but I would hate for you to make that decision under the impression that fish in cycling is the easier of the two options.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 02-12-2014 at 12:29 AM.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    As everyone suggested Fish-in cycle require more or your time and are more hard compared to fish-less cycle. If you want to do fish-in cycle you have to test the water parameters on regular basis anyways combined with many water changes.

Try to get some filter media from your know people whose fish tanks are already cycled. These filter media will have the necessary BB on them and this will help you in fish-in cycle and also will complete the fish-less cycle in less time.

0 Not allowed!
    The store does NOT resell any fish-in cycling minnows that are returned to them. They are put in a tank in a back room. Using ammonia for fishless cycling can be a pain if too much is added (told to me in another forum). The water doesn't need as much changing as does the fish-in, but if too much ammonia is added a major change of water will be needed (told to me as well). Plus, quite a few water perimeter tests need to be done in both fishless and fish-in. Again, told to me by another forum member.

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    I only had a chance to scan the last couple of posts in the thread so sorry if this is repetitive or I'm late to the party but I want to make a couple of points.

You said you were nervous you would get fishless cycle recommendations and that the fish in cycle was hard enough.

Fish in cycles are much more intense, difficult and demanding of your time.

With a fishless cycle you will likely only need to change your water one time. A fishless cycle can easily be completed in half the time as well.

A fish in cycle often requires daily water changes of 50% or more of the tank volume, is toxic to the fish and you will have to repeat the cycling process each time you add new fish as you will only be able to add them in small quantities.

The minnows you returned to the pet store may have "looked fine." But make no mistake that a fish in cycle (particularly when done with inaccurate test strips) is hard on the fish.
    You are basically having them live in a toxic environment and just keeping the level of toxicity low enough that it doesn't kill them. Fish in cycling can have a long term toll on their health and lifespan that you may not notice immediately.

In my opinion any pet store that will knowingly sell you fish for the purposes of cycling and then allow them to be returned for resale to a different customer who is unaware that they were previously used for that purpose is not a place that I would trust for advice or stock. Telling you that fish is "hardy" is basically saying it is hard to kill. The fact that a particular kind of fish can withstand more trauma before it dies from it hardly justifies treating it with less care than you would any other fish.

All that being said it is ultimately your decision how you would like to cycle your tank, but I would hate for you to make that decision under the impression that fish in cycling is the easier of the two options.

5 Not allowed!
    Oh okay. That's better that they sell the fish and then condemn them to a tank in a back room somewhere to die.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you already knew everything about cycling. I was under the impression that you wanted answers to your questions. My bad.
    ~Manna

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody13 View Post
    The store does NOT resell any fish-in cycling minnows that are returned to them. They are put in a tank in a back room. Using ammonia for fishless cycling can be a pain if too much is added (told to me in another forum). The water doesn't need as much changing as does the fish-in, but if too much ammonia is added a major change of water will be needed (told to me as well). Plus, quite a few water perimeter tests need to be done in both fishless and fish-in. Again, told to me by another forum member.
    It seems that you have got the impression that doing a fishless cycle is a massive hassle, requires a lot of labour and is very time consuming.

Regarding adding the ammonia, there are plenty of guides and even ammonia cycling calculators that give you the exact amount of ammonia you need to add to the tank. If a fishless cycle is done properly, it is efficient, easy, quicker than fishin cycle and would only require a few minutes a day adding the required amount of ammonia and doing a parameter test.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and MTS
    • 15 gallon: 1 Pair German Blue Ram, 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Threadfin Rainbowfish, a lot of cherry shrimp and MTS

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I am in the middle of a fishless cycle now myself on my little 10 gallon - I just test each night at the same time, only takes 5-10 minutes of my time. I am in the final stages now that my ammonia is dropping nightly. I just re-add some each night using a infant dosing syringe (free from any pharmacy) to add some each night and to check the parameters. I have only added a little bit of dechlorinated water half way through to account for evaporation. I may add a bit more later tonight as well. Just turn the lights on a bit each day to help the plant in there and keep the temp near 80. I spend more time maintaining my 37 gallon established tank now that fish are in there with feeding, wc's etc than I do on the tank that is sitting there doing nothing but growing bacteria.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    No one tried to answer his question, they just to tell him how to cycle a tank with out fish. No need to lynch the guy because he is using fish to cycle his tank. There is nothing wrong with cycling with fish IF it is done correctly. If you are worried about the health of his fish then instead of treating him like a criminal why not tell him how to do what he is clearly set on doing so the fish don't suffer too much. While I agree, cycling with ammonia is the better method, I will try to help this guy with the method he has chosen.

Cody, yes, you took the minnows out too soon. A tank is not cycled until it reads 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and there is some level of nitrate before a water change. Once you put them back in you MUST keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down to around or under .25ppm and the nitrates under 20ppm. That means lots of water changes, perhaps more than one a day and this is one reason why a liquid testing kit (most here use the API master test kit) is better than the strips.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4 Not allowed!
    I don't think there was any lynching, only an expression of frustration over an irresponsible fish store and also the OPs assertion that fishless cycling is harder than fish in despite most advice saying otherwise.

I made a very straight forward post a few posts back stating why I prefer one method over the other, I also said ultimately it is up to him how he decides to cycle his tank.

I just am not going to waste time giving advice further since he has already stated he won't do the fishless cycle for fear that adding too much ammonia will cause a need for a large water change. If the op isn't willing to do one large water change I don't know how a fish in cycle will ever be successful.
    ~Manna

10. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    I don't think there was any lynching, only an expression of frustration over an irresponsible fish store and also the OPs assertion that fishless cycling is harder than fish in despite most advice saying otherwise.

I made a very straight forward post a few posts back stating why I prefer one method over the other, I also said ultimately it is up to him how he decides to cycle his tank.

I just am not going to waste time giving advice further since he has already stated he won't do the fishless cycle for fear that adding too much ammonia will cause a need for a large water change. If the op isn't willing to do one large water change I don't know how a fish in cycle will ever be successful.
    I'm afraid I'm with Crunchy leaf on this one. This is the same member who asked for advice about test strips over API liquid, received a lot of good information and advice but opted to ignore the bulk of it. Their call, their tank, no problem. We have also attempted to assure and encourage this poster on other threads. Again, it's their tank to do with as they wish, but I won't be taking any more time to answer or assist. This poster wants to hear what he wants to hear regardless of all the well intended help.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492