· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default One Cichlid for a 20 long?

0 Not allowed!
    I would really like to pick up one cichlid for my 20 long. I can upgrade later if needed. The fish i am interested in are convicts and firemouths. But both say they have a minimum of 30 gallons. Are there any common options I am missing? I have everything up and ready and am feeding ammonia ... Just need the fish :)

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on your water. If your water is on the hard side you could try some shellies. If it is softer than maybe some rams or kribs.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i really dont want rams ... i cant even get them here. I actually do not know the hardness ... We dont have build up really so i would say someone in the middle.

Is there anything bigger?

I would really like a loner who would not feel cramped in the 20 long ... or a 29 gallon if that would open options.

I only have access to the fish on petsmarts site ... And I really would love a single convict, I have platy fry and baby shrimp and Omega one to feed him, He would be rotten. Could he hold out on a 29 gallon til summer? If so I could totally do that :)

Sorry for the rambling, I only have til thursday to decide lol.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    should look up some of the dwarf cichlids some of them may fit the bill (rams do fall into that category as well)
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are my options

Kenyi African Cichlid
    Jewel Cichlid
    Bumblebee African Cichlid
    Black Convict Cichlid

There are a few others but they are too big or too expensive.

Upgrading to a 29 gallon is NO issue if it means it opens more options.

0 Not allowed!
    The smallest on that list is a 6" fish full grown. A 29g really isn't any different that a 20g long, since it is about footprint.

I wouldn't recommend any of those fish for that size tank for anything other than a qt tank or a VERY temp tank. Most of the time people don't end up getting the bigger tank they want when they buy a fish.

Always buy fish for the tank you have, not the tank you plan to get later

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I do have a 40 breeder ... But whatever gets put in that will have to move to my 40 long once my angels grow out :)

The breeder is actually set up, and has nothing but ramshorn snails in it. Its cycled and everything...

Would this be ok? dont know how I forgot I have a 40 long and a 40 breeder LOL

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    well there you go problem solved. There are many dwarf cichlids that would work fine in a 40g - here are some cookie cutter setups for a 40L -
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_40g.php

Here is the 29 gallon setups -
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_29g.php

And the 20 Long setups -
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_20g.php

edit - added other sizes
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love my bristlenose <3 ... Most of the set ups recommend bristlenose <3

Do I have to go dwarf? I would REALLY like a firemouth if I can find one and a convict if I can not. I know the convicts breeding aggression.

maybe a jack Dempsey? Those are bigger though * sigh* I like bigger fish ...

Other than the bristlenose, Rubberlip and tetras I do not even think I can get those fish :((

0 Not allowed!
    You really like biggger fish. all the species you mention would require 30+ gallons even if kept singly. convicts
    30+, firemouths I'd say 40+ and dempseys 55+
    Have you looked into keyholes? they are much bigger than dwarfs, but not quite the size of your already mentioned ones.