· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lighting help please

0 Not allowed!
    Many of you here have seen my 10g tank journal. I have pfs substrate and low light plants with root stick ferts. I have some growth but not phenomenal and I'm wondering about lighting. Right now I have a 10 watt and a 15 watt CFLs. Would it be to much light if I got two 20 watts like this

http://www.bigalspets.com/50-50-mini...lamp-20-w.html

Or am I better off sticking with what I've got? I use a multi purpose liquid fert big Al's brand one a week and dose 1/2 cap excel daily.
    Don't poke the crazy

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well in my experience the more light the better. Then again Ive had success using as much watts as you are. If you don't mind spending the money I think it may help.

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I'm concerned about having a lot of algae problems if I have to much light.
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Sarah View Post
    Many of you here have seen my 10g tank journal. I have pfs substrate and low light plants with root stick ferts. I have some growth but not phenomenal and I'm wondering about lighting. Right now I have a 10 watt and a 15 watt CFLs. Would it be to much light if I got two 20 watts like this

http://www.bigalspets.com/50-50-mini...lamp-20-w.html

Or am I better off sticking with what I've got? I use a multi purpose liquid fert big Al's brand one a week and dose 1/2 cap excel daily.
    I think the CFL that you've linked to is the wrong color temperature for freshwater plant growth and my cause unnecessary algae growth. Do you know the color temperature of the CFLs you're using now? A kelvin rating of 5500 to 6500 k are the best for freshwater plant growth.
    Last edited by Taurus; 02-14-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, look at any store for the CFL bulbs, check on the box for the color temp (K or Kelvin Rating)

Ideally you want 5500K - 7000K

0 Not allowed!
    OK thanks. The bulbs I currently have are for aquarium use, one is a zoo med ultra sun the other is glo life glo. I going see any info about kelvin rating on the bulbs.
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    I don't.... Not I going... Stupid auto correct.
    Don't poke the crazy

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I assume this is the bulb - Zoo med ultra sun cfl - http://www.bigalspets.com/6-500k-ult...lamp-10-w.html

those are 6500k bulbs - 2 of those over a 10 gallon tank I think would give plenty of light?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    I assume this is the bulb - Zoo med ultra sun cfl - http://www.bigalspets.com/6-500k-ult...lamp-10-w.html

those are 6500k bulbs - 2 of those over a 10 gallon tank I think would give plenty of light?
    Yes that's it, OK wonderful thanks so much. I've tried to wrap my head around the whole lighting/co2/ferts but it just doesn't click. I just need someone to say this is what you need.. Get it.
    Don't poke the crazy

1 Not allowed!
    More lighting is not necessarily "better". Excess lighting without proper CO2 levels and high enough nutrients is an algae explosion waiting to happen. Algae is set off by an imbalance of nutrients and low CO2 combined....now if you have a long photoperiod or intense lighting that is simply pouring gasoline into the fire. Your algae will have what it needs to over take the tank. I have ran 40watts on a 10G...it was medium lighting. This requires some form of CO2 be it Excel or a DIY setup...and regular fertilization. Is this something that you were wanting to commit to? If not then I would simply stick to around 30watts on the 10G. You can pick up a twin pack of spiral CFLs at Wal-Mart in the daylight 6500K spectrum for around $6. You need to replace these spiral bulbs every 6 months as they tend to wear out quickly.

Probably the best thing you can do with these incandescent hoods...is to paint the inside of them white. The reason behind this is that the spiral bulbs you are using are not that efficient at reflecting light due to their spiral shape, rays essentially get knocked around all sorts of places. The reflectors in those incandescent hoods also are not that great...they are honestly more of a heat shield than anything. Simply tape up the electrics...remove the reflectors and give it 2 good coats of Krylon fusion white. Once it is dry replace your reflectors(heat shield) and put in a pair if new 13-15watt CFLs. You will see more improvement in lighting from improving your method of reflection than going higher wattage.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon