· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Took algae scrubber out

0 Not allowed!
    Morning! I'm just throwing this out to you for input. Long ago I had made my own 6 x 8 scrubber (in my case Im using 5 LED pods I had on hand). It worked really well in my 55 tank. So when I got another 55, I took it out, scraped it off and put it in my new tank. I bought a few items to make a new scrubber for the new tank, but havent gotten to that yet. One reason is that the main 55 is heavy with plant competition. My newer 55 is 50/50 real and plastic plants.
    Ok Im not an algae expert so my question is am I doing it right and is it working right. Here's why. Every time I clean it out every few weeks it is FULL and it stinks to high heaven. The algae is 'mostly' slime, but when disturbed has hairy in the slime. I look at algae pictures and cant quite match any up to slime. Cleaning the glass is a nightmare, theres as much on the glass as on the screen! I try to scoop it with a paper towel and clamp the towel closed, but Im still releasing a huge amount free floating. Not happy about all this, but pressed on. Until I started to notice the roots of my plants turning bright teal green. I have some floating bamboo and 4 anubis. Half the anubis is suction cupped, half bound to rock and such. So I pulled the scrubber out, as the roots were turning the same color as the algae in the scrubber. Been about a week out now, all my roots are back to 'root' color!
    Is my scrubber too small, leaching out into the tank? Do I even need a scrubber? Is any of it toxic to the fish? (also since removal the tank smells like a fish tank should, not the stink opening the lid). Is my build incorrect (IE LED's)? Is it just me and it works as it should?
    FYI, this tank has 2 parrots, 5 cichlids, 1 tucan tetra, 1 blue crayfish (just molted #2 YAY!) and 6 algae eaters, down to 4 now, cichlids got hungry).
    nitrites are 0
    ammonia is 0
    nitrates is 0 (ive read because of the amount of algae in the scrubber. I havent tested since removed)
    Note: the scrubber pic shows smooth screen, I learned later and roughed it up with the hole saw.
    Thanks guys!

IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    55 Gallon community tank.
    55 Gallon Cichlid in progress.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    29 Gallon, Planted with my Panda Garra fry.
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

0 Not allowed!
    I've read and been told the LED lights contribute to Cyano (slime). I recall reading other posts where they did not use LED but traditional lighting. I had to remove my LED from my SW tanks as I was getting Cyano in both...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    The most common causess for algae scrubbers not to work properly and get the film & smell to them are too low of flow and in correct light intensity or color temp. I have been using one for a few years now and it took me a little effort to find a good balance between the lighting and flow

In your cause I would guess a combination of the two as you are getting a more slimy algae.

It is the incorrect color intensity that will help the slimy algae grow more than anything, regardless of the type of bulb or emitter used.
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-11-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! I just looked up Cyano. That's the junk. So the page I read keeps saying "infection". Because my plants cleared up in the past week, would you say I don't? I mean the Cyano was ONLY in the scrubber, and the exposed plant roots. As I said the stink is gone, and I dare say the water is much clearer, although I did just do a PWC and gravel vac two days ago.
    So I only used these LED's cause I had them. What do you guys use for light? Oh, BTW my timer was at 16 hours a day. I would really prefer, as I've seen done online, one of those regular clip desk lights. Can I get a proper "bulb" for one? Like a regular 40 watt bulb. Better light idea?
    Perhaps though, I don't even need a scrubber. I really only made it cause I saw it online and love to build things! LOL
    Thanks so much! Billy.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

0 Not allowed!
    You can certainly add more light to make it work better, a bright weight CLF bulb (around 42 watts) would give you pretty intense lighting at a higher color temp which should help.

But keep in mind, lighting is only half of the equation as you really need some strong flow. Base on the supply line in your photo, I would guess you may not have enough flow. Cyano thrives in low flow areas

If you are not having problems with nitrate or phosphates, then I would say you likely would not even need a algae scrubber. I only use one because I have a heavy stocked tank and I do not want my nitrates or phosphate to climb above 1 ppm
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-11-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got it, thanks. Gee thats a 5 inch air stone with its own separate pump. The UAS sends all my floating plants sailing as it is. I need more flow? LOL I think your right, I may not need it, as yet. Going to go without for a while and see. I originally had no intention of having live plants in this tank, but I've been slowly succumbing to them, now have quite a few. Just bought another live plant today. Just can't keep my nose out of my LFS.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update
    Well it's been over a week and my tank has never looked better! The smell is long gone. Glass and stuff is crystal clear. I did buy a blue moon bubbler, and thusly lowered my light timer to only 8 hours on. I found that I still have all 6 algae eaters too, the missing two were just hiding. I think now that the novelty has worn off the cichlids and parrots dont even look at them. Probably will test tonight see how the parameters are. I'm thinking the lesson to this is if you have no algae, don't go creating it artificially !
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    How about a pic of that nice clean tank?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything is much better since I removed the scrubber. Go figure! Here you go from last night:

DSC00362.jpg
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is my main beauty tank:

DSC00353.jpg
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.