· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Talking Stocking suggestions based on water parameters

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Everyone,

After a couple of years break from fish (and a lot of moving around), I'm finally getting everything out of storage and setting up an aquarium again.

The setup will be a 36"x18"x18" (50 gallon) tank. Filtration shouldn't be a problem; did a quick stocktake and I have 2 x Eheim 2213's, 1 x Eheim 2215; 2 x AC30's and 1 x AC70

The water parameters here are as follows:

pH - 7.8 (I think. I'm never sure between the colours for 7.4 - 8.0)
    KH - 107ppm
    GH - 125ppm

I'd like to plan my stocking around the water parameters and was hoping you'd all have some great suggestions. I've been looking into keyhole cichlids but have read conflicting info about their pH preferences and I'm not sure if they'd deal well with a 7.8pH.

I'm open to anything but would like to keep things within broad geographical ranges. Substrate/hardscape/plants etc will depend on the fish chosen.
    50gal - planned community tank - cycling
    40gal - species tank - 18 tiger barbs

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion most fish that have been bred in captivity over generations are quite adaptable, but that can be debated. Here is a list of fish that actually prefer harder water instead of just tolerating it, or simply don't care at all

- danios
    - White Cloud Mountain minnows
    - goldfish
    - rosy red minnows
    - rainbow fish
    - african cichlids
    - Florida flagfish
    - some gouramis
    - livebearers
    - goodies
    - some Central American cichlids(convicts, etc)

Thee are many more, but these are the ones I can think of now.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the list. Rainbows are a possibility, as are some of the livebearers. I'm a little hesitant when it comes to African cichlids just because of the potential problems with aggression.

Which of the Central American cichlids do you think would do well with the aquarium size and parameters (I'm not too thrilled with convicts)?

Edit: and what on earth are goodies?

0 Not allowed!
    central americans are quite aggressive and large, so in a tank that size you could only keep a single fish or a mated pair.
    the only fish besides convicts that I can think of right now are

- sajica cichlid
    - cryptoheris nanoluteus
    - firemouth
    - archocentrus multispinosus
    - salvini cichlid

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cryptoheris nanoluteus or archocentrus multispinosus both look like possibilities, if I could find them. Would I be able to keep any other fish in the tank with them (tetras or livebearers for example)?

I think I'm leaning more towards Central/South American rather than Southeast Asian.

Any thoughts on Keyholes or Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids?

0 Not allowed!
    They prefer soft more acidic waters as they are from south america. Central american cichlids do prefer a bit harder more alkaline water so your parameters would be fine for them. I would actually suggest kind of a biotope setup with some Thorichthys and live bearers.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK. So I vaguely remembered reading something a few years ago about how water straight out of the tap has a lot of dissolved gases in it that may alter the pH (let me know if I'm remembering wrong). I decided to test pH again after letting some water site for a day and.... 8.2

Maybe I should rethink African cichlids.

Or is there some way I can gradually lower the pH that won't result in massive pH swings?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I know they have already been mentioned but you have so many beutiful native Rainbows and Blue eyes why not go with them?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, rainbows are a really great suggestion! Not sure why I wasn't leaning that way before; guess I was focused on the 'centrepiece' fish concept. A lot of the New Guinea one's seem to prefer a higher pH too. Hopefully I'll be able to find a few different species to choose from. I don't remember them being very common here a few years ago but that may have changed.

0 Not allowed!
    You could try lowering your pH and hardness via peat filtration, driftwood, and leaves in the tank such as Indian almond leaves. Some substrates are also known to lower your pH and hardness such as ADA aquatic soils.

However for most captive bred fish...pH and hardness are not that important. I would opt for fish which are from slightly more alkaline conditions such as the Rainbows, CA cichlids, Livebearers...but really I wouldnt worry about this too much.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon