· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Won't eat????

1. Default Won't eat????

0 Not allowed!
    My wife got two tiger oscars about a month ago. Both were doing pretty well but we noticed since the first day one of the two were not eating well so we thought it might be stress. A week or two went by and the non eater will only eat FD shrimp.
    The LFS had them on small pelleted food which they both ate but the one would spit it out repeatedly and not really eat it. Funny thing is that the bigger one is a top to mid feeder but the smaller one will only bottom feed leftover food or poo?!?
    At this point the O has been in its new home for a month. No major upsets other than a weekly water change and poo vac. All parameters remain within normal low limits. Ammonia only hit .25 for a day after a sponge change.
    Tank stats:
    55gal
    78degrees
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrites
    10 nitrates
    7.6 PH
    Feeding "Omega one "small cichlid pellet and freeze dried shrimp. Tried cichlid flakesImageUploadedByTapatalk1392096866.299169.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392096934.583363.jpg
    Both started at about 2.5" non eater is only at 3" larger one is almost 4.5"ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392097122.439680.jpg
    Any thoughts about why this one spits out almost anything we have tried.
    Last edited by NightFox364; 02-11-2014 at 05:49 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    There doesnt seem to be any hiding places for the smaller stressed oscar that do not want to eat. The larger one might stress it too much and if that is the case then you need to make him feel safer in the environment by adding more hidding places
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

The cichlids that I have kept have always done best when they had hiding spots to go to when they felt spooked or stressed. Once you have hiding spots for your oscars to go to, you might even see them become more active as they will feel more safe a secure in the tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    In addition to that, your tank does seem kind of bright. Dimmed the lights a bit too and see if it makes a difference. Once they get bolder you can try increasing light once more.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In reply to all:
    #2&3- both of them seem to get along very well as they are always swimming near each other. They have both picked there area. The larger swims in and out of the colored rock structure in the center while the smaller can be found behind the rock cave on the left or around the driftwood to the right.
    #4- the light is a standard 40 watt aquarium fluorescent.

I can try to let the light dim by not washing the glass every week. As for hiding places I will take her to the lfs and find a few more items to create more caves since they seem to like that more than plants.
    Does the food seem adequate or could the smaller be craving more since it really only chomps down FD shrimp more than anything?
    Using Tapatalk

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I'm going to go with stress on this too and share an experience with you. I had 2 sevs in my 90 - a green and a yellow. they started out the same size but within six months the green was almost twice the size of the yellow because the yellow would not eat anything but frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp which i only fed once a week. He ignored pellets and flakes completely. I removed the green sev couple months ago simply to cut back the number of fish in the tank and the next day the yellow started eating everything in sight and to this day continues to eat well.
    I'd never seen any aggression between the two fish - never - but clearly, the green had established dominance and the yellow was so stressed by it he would not cross him.
    So ... you may be dealing with something similar.
    More hiding spots may help or, quite possibly the larger has established dominance and this is affecting the smaller one's eating habits.
    Just food for thought - no pun intended.
    Good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks FM, I may consider moving the smaller one into my Quarintine tank short term till we can get it to eat regularly. Just seems strange they were tank mates at store and both were and are still very active.
    Using Tapatalk

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFox364 View Post
    Thanks FM, I may consider moving the smaller one into my Quarintine tank short term till we can get it to eat regularly. Just seems strange they were tank mates at store and both were and are still very active.
    were they the only two oscars in the tank at the LFS? if not, maybe the bigger one had someone else to pick on. If it was only the two of them, perhaps the larger one has since decided to be tank boss and pick on the smaller one. Who knows what happens after dark?

Oh - and my yellow sev was always active, too. Nothing seemed amiss except he wouldn't eat. I was sure he would just wither away and I'd find him dead someday. Now that the green sev is gone, though, he's even more active than he was before - and growing like a weed. Not saying that this is your situation but again, worth thinking about.

More hiding spots still might help the situation though it might take a little time.
    Good luck figuring it out.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-11-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No. They were in with two smaller albinos which my wife returned the next day and purchased. Lfs had them in a 20 long. Now in a 55 with plants and stone hideouts I would think they were happier.
    Update: moved smaller oscar into Quarintine yesterday. Left lights out all day and night. It slept a lot it seemed and gave it a plant from old tank to lower stress and fell at home. Feed three pellets this am and only are one. Other two just dissolved after five hours.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392233294.432038.jpg
    Top fin not laid flat today!
    Using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
    So are there 3 oscars in the 55 now? The 2 albino and the other original one that is eating?

Hopefully the qt will help this guy. Just watch your ammonia levels if the food isn't being eaten you might see them spike.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress