· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default breeding bloodfins and white clouds?

0 Not allowed!
    I was given one bloodfin and one white cloud by a student of mine when I had a tank in our classroom and told they were neons which I had just been given for our tank as well. After bringing these fish home and putting them in my tank they changed color and I found that they weren't neons which explains why they never turned neon colors. (they stayed a solid grey and i thought they were just super stressed, which I guess they were because they turned colors just like the old schoo l" just ad water" color paintings) so my local fish store only rarely have white clouds and they're so small they scream eat me. I was able to find 3 over time that were big enough to survive however they are still too small to school with the adult one I have and spend a lot of time at the top of the tank until recently. (i watched them swim closely to the adult white cloud this morning for almost an hour hoping they'd lock eyes and school off...) lol The bloodfins I have only found at a sketchy store in town that's an hour away and I am terrified to buy anything from. most of their tanks say under observation and lots of dead fish. I did take a chance and brought home a few of them. 2 died right away and one i quarantined that died a few days later leaving me with 3 to add to the single bloodfin I had. the bloodfins are all almost adult size and thriving. they do school.

So... this morning as i sat in front of my tank like i usually do on weekend mornings.. watching to see if everyone's active, how my gourami were doing and thinking one of them has to be female because their bodies are so different I noticed it looked like my zebra danios were spawning. Which stresses me out.. they're a little pesty towards my other fish but I'm pretty sure my corys have been eating their eggs. sorry, i ramble. lol It occured to me instead of trying to have fish flown to alaska and risking getting sick fish on the off chance I find them maybe i could breed the ones I have?

so through all of this my question is... should i try to breed my white clouds and bloodfins to get my numbers up to a healthy school? (not with each other but with their own species, just in case that was confusing lol)

0 Not allowed!
    not experienced with breeding bloodfins, but for white clouds, a drop in temperature for several weeks and a subsequent rise can trigger spawning.
    they will spawn in fine leaved plants or a spawning mop if provided. after spawning the parents are removed. for a significant number of fry to survive, you should ideally set up a small tank for them to
    be on their own. the fry are very easy to care for when they get free swimming.