· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default a good dry food?

0 Not allowed!
    last year I took over caring for my wifes two betta's. They were in very poor shape when she brought them home from work, so I dug out an old tank I had and fired it up. cycled it and took clippings from my 55 gal tank and planted in the betta tank. I've put in some rotella indica, dwarf sage and are growing good. The bettas are way happier now and still continue to heal from their extreme fin rot they had when I took them over months. I've been looking around for a good dry food to give them between blood worms rather than using the current food my wife had(Aqueon betta food). I've never kept bettas before since all my dealings are with my tetras, guppies, danios, and platies. I change up the food everyday in my 55 gal planted tank with brine shrimp, daphnia, blood worms, and a nice tropical flake w/enhanced probiotics from Cobalt aquatics. Any recommendations on a good dry pellet type food for bettas?

1 Not allowed!
    all the food and products specifically marketed to bettas is just an excuse to overprice things by manufacturers. a betta will thrive off any good tropical flake designed for carnivores.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    these two must be the exception to flake food. A while back my son ran over to the betta tank and dropped a sprinkle of flake in while we were feeding the fish in the 55gal. They wouldn't touch it, even after I left it in for an hour so I took it out.

I know the pellets for cichlids are normally larger than normal, but if it's not specified for a larger breed of fish will the pellets normally be smaller?

1 Not allowed!
    it takes a while to acclimatize a fish to a new food. bettas are probably one of the most domesticated of all aquarium fish.
    i probably could say that all betta splendens you'd ever encounter are captive raised and grew up on crummy processed feed way worse than what we feed our fish. it is only a matter of getting it back on something it used to eat. small offerings daily will usually work.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I always fed my betta/s NLS Grow pellets, very high in protein and great for color.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I alternate between NLS betta food and omega one betta buffet. I liked the NLS better. It does matter to some extent what you feed different fish...bettas eat exclusively protein in the wild (or at least a very high percentage of it). They do not opportunistically feed on algae or plants, like many other types of fish. I would not feed tropical fish food to my bettas, no matter how high quality it is, and bettas seem to do best on pellets, which can often be too big in regular ol' food.

They will eat when they are hungry enough. Trust me.

Also, you don't have those two males in together without a divider, right? I'm sure you don't, but I'm doing my due diligence here. You know they need to separated, even if they are very sick. Good luck with these guys, and remember to keep up your frequent water changes...that'll heal them up as fast as possible.

Also...when they are feeling better, bettas love live food, such as brine shrimp and the small shrimp commonly kept in aquariums (ghost shrimp). If you had some to spare, you could throw a couple of those in there and see what happens. Yes I'm cruel.
    Last edited by bethyMT; 02-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've fed Bettas NLS pellets or flakes for years - they love it.