· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Can I keep multiple female Bolivian rams together?

0 Not allowed!
    My male blue ram died very unexpectedly night before last. My parents were up in my room and kept saying how great they both looked the day before. Anyway, I still have my female ram but am not going to attempt German blue rams anymore. They're too delicate for my experience. If I lose my female blue ram, I'm going to switch to Bolivian rams, but my question is, how many can I keep in my 37g? I would really like more than 2, my tank always looked kind of empty with just the 2 rams in there. I don't think 2 pairs would be a good idea. Too much aggression when mating. And males of any species tend to be the more aggressive of the 2. I swear I read somewhere you can keep Bolivian rams in small female groups, but don't know how true that is. Anyone with experience?
    I have more (and better) conversations with fish, dogs, and myself than I do with actual people.
    Myself, the fish, and the dogs all agree.

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on the footprint of the tank. I think two rams are the most I would put in that size tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    All females or all males work fine. Yes, males tend to be more aggressive, but bolivian rams are probably one of the most peaceful of cichlids and without females, they won't really have much to fight for.
    A pair of rams would actually work too. They don't get particularly aggressive when breeding, except towards other cichlids. When they have eggs on a stone, my rams just guard a ~2 inch radius around the eggs and beyond that guppies, cories, anything pretty much swims by unchased.
    As for the tank looking empty with 2 rams, keep in mind that Bolivians are substantially larger and bulkier than blue rams.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot about the size difference. They're harder to sex than most so it would be hard to find a pair. I'll probably try to get either 2 or 3 of the same sex. Thanks for the info!
    I have more (and better) conversations with fish, dogs, and myself than I do with actual people.

0 Not allowed!
    For what it's worth ($0.02) I would add a single male OR female, that's it considering the rest of the stocking.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't mind me asking, and if I can word this to where it doesn't sound like I'm doubting your knowledge or opinion. Why would you only do 1 ram? I thought my stock was fitting for atleast 2 rams, 3 might be pushing it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, and if I can word this to where it doesn't sound like I'm doubting your knowledge or opinion. Why would you only do 1 ram? I thought my stock was fitting for atleast 2 rams, 3 might be pushing it.
    I believe he was suggesting you ADD 1 more ram with your existing ram :o) And you don't sound pushy. Questions are always good.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, that makes much more since! My female blue ram has aggression problems to new comers of the tank. I'm honestly just planning ahead if my female dies. The rest of my fish are very friendly and happy and have never had issues with each other, just the ram. That's why I think I could do 3 Bolivian rams, in place of the 1 aggressive blue ram.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Questions are always good.
    Yes they are!

Is the angel fish in your tank a juvenile or adult?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Juvenile. I'm thinking when it full grown though I may need to rehome it. The way my aquarium is decorated,
    It doesn't seem like an full grown angelfish would have enough room to swim. I was told they grow slowly though. Right now it doesn't seem to have any aggression. It comes to greet me every time I come to the tank. I have the food though...