· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default My retail catfish is acting weird. :( help!

0 Not allowed!
    First, I have a 60 gallon with 2 small oscars, 5 small silver dollars a pleco and just recently got a baby redtail cat.
    He was in good health at the store, and has been in good health here at home too, for a little over a week. He eats, mostly handfed(just because nothing gets by the oscars) is out and about and has been acting normal.

Last night I noticed he was acting. A little weird tho. And it's continued today. He's swimming in place barely, and tilted to the side a bit. He is breathing fine, and still moving fins and tail, but stays hidden in a log and won't come out for anything. When I do get him out he'll swim around and them go back to what he was doing. I got him out of it yesterday evening and tried to feed him and he didn't want anything to do with it, same response this morning. :/

Really love this guy and don't want anything happening to him. Help please! Advice?

Our other fish are in great condition and nothing happened that would cause a disturbance. He's also been eating the same food as the oscars. The tank is also verrrrry well filtered.

Stumped and worrying. :/

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    With such a small tank, the Oscars are going to assert themselves on any new fish. How long did you cycle the tank? What are your plans for the fish in that tank over 6 months from now?

What's the ammonia and nitrite parameters? Make sure you use a liquid test kit.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I sincerely hope you're upgrading that tank in the future, that's a huge stock for a 60 gal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We've tested the water a few times, everything is perfect. The oscars don't bully too bad, and of the do they just chase the silver dollars.

We're in the process of building a bigger tank, we're waiting to move. But right now everyone has plenty of room. The oscars are very young. So is the redtail.

The tank has been up and running with everything but the redtail for about a month now.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And yes, I knew id get yelled at for the tank situation, everyone just rest assured that they will be in a very big tank soon :) like I said, we're building our own and still deciding how big we should go. :)

They're just little guys now :) and the ammonia levels are perfect along with everything else :)

That's why I'm stumped as to what's the matter with our redtail, Pluto.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone have any ideas?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just did a water change, about 30% water change and Pluto (the redtail) came out of the log and swam around for a sec and now he's back in the log and acting really lethargic again. Won't eat still.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what does the water tested fine mean? What did you use to test the water?

How often do you feed the catfish?

Do you have an airstone?

Did you quarantine the catfish?

Since the fish was fine, then it is either stress or water quality.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 03-17-2014 at 08:17 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia level is fine, ph is fine, nitrate level is fine, etc. I used a five in one test strip as well as ammonia test strips. We hand feed the catfish probably every other day.

Yes, a water curtain actually. So, plenty of oxygen. And the fish wasn't quarantined but has been in great health over the last week or so and has been very active. Just has been odd the past two days.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I mean all the levels are where they are supposed to be