· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Red Arowana Query

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys I got a Red Aro yesterday and he is on a diet of shrimp and is eating well.
    Just have a few questions.
    They gave me a Arowana Certificate its says Red Arowana and below that Scleropages formosus which I believe is the species.
    There are just too many Red Aro common names but all are under the same species.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_arowana
    So what will be the Adult Coloration of my fish, he is light red on the body and his tail fin is a well defined red.
    On the certificate is shows a Red Aro with red and slightly golden scales on his body is that going to be his Adult Color
    I know the coloration of Aro's depends on their diet but I am just curious.
    And any recommended diet is also welcome, he is currently on freeze died shrimps, I ll eventually train him to eat Hikari food sticks and later maybe even raw shrimp if he eats it.
    I ll post a few pics of him later.
    Note: He is around 9-10 inches in size.

Cheers
    Last edited by fishery; 02-07-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well it seems like one of the key things in differentiating would be where it was collected from. Or in the case of captive bred where its wild ancestors came from.

Do you happen to know?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    Well it seems like one of the key things in differentiating would be where it was collected from. Or in the case of captive bred where its wild ancestors came from.

Do you happen to know?
    Well the only info I have about the Aro is from the certificate, it was Distributed by the Wan Hu Fish Farm Trading and it also has "A quality product of Qian Hu Corporation Limited" written on the certificate.
    And it has a Tag/Serial number, where am I to check the particulars of the fish using the Serial Number, the fish dealer said I could check the details online, I can't seem to find any website for it.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    if it is a true red aro, it will be red. many farms use gimmick names to make their reds sound better than others (ie super red, diablo red, etc). they are all the same variant of formosus.

genes, diet, comfort will all come into play when it comes to colouration. to get the maximum amount of colour, I would suggest a good varied diet, lots of room, and even some tanning lights.
    Thar she blows!!!

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with Crispy. It will be an obvious red color. There are varying qualities, but all are RED.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a lot for the clarification guys. I just have one more question is it safe to start feeding him with Hikari Foodsticks, can a 9-10 inch Red Aro eat a foodstick whole or do I have to wait a while till he grows up a bit.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    he should be able to eat foodsticks at that size. many arowanas won't eat them though and a varied diet is best anyways. I would also try to feed small insects and pieces of raw shrimp/fish fillets.
    Thar she blows!!!