· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Seperating a. cacatuoides from eggs

0 Not allowed!
    My male apistogramma cacatuoides is a bit of a bully, he chased my barbs around so I had to remove them, he chased a bolivian ram I put in too so it had to be removed, now he is chasing my honey gourami around so ive decided him and the female will have to go back to the store. Its a shame as I really like them, but I cant have him terrorizing my other fish.

However ive just noticed the female has laid eggs, should I still take them back? Im sure the fry wont survive anyway but i'd hate to stress her out separating her from them unless I knew it wouldn't bother her in the long run.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

1 Not allowed!
    could it be that he's chasing the gourami because he's trying to protect his eggs? I'd just give them a time of grace for now, no real reason except pity maybe.

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

1 Not allowed!
    I'd have to agree with madagascariensis on this one. Apistos are an egg protective species like most cichlids.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He chases him around the entire tank, he is not anywhere near the eggs only she is. He just swims around then when he catches site of him he will sometimes try and sneak up on him then lunge or will just chase him without sneaking. He did the same with my pentazona barbs. Strangely he does not bother my neons, white clouds, black phantoms, betta, or sparking gourami at all.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    They are cichlids.

He's defending/claiming his territory and protecting the eggs. That's what cichlids do and id say the eggs and fry have an excellent chance at surviving with the parents protecting them.

If your set on removing them do it now before the eggs hatch. the other fish will eat the eggs before they hatch. if you dont want aggression in future dont go with cichlids unless they are females.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADIN View Post
    They are cichlids.

He's defending/claiming his territory and protecting the eggs. That's what cichlids do and id say the eggs and fry have an excellent chance at surviving with the parents protecting them.

If your set on removing them do it now before the eggs hatch. the other fish will eat the eggs before they hatch. if you dont want aggression in future dont go with cichlids unless they are females.
    No i disagree. He is not protecting the eggs at all, he doesnt bother ANY of my other fish apart from the Gourami, as soon as he sees it he will chase and try to nip it. He displayed this behavior with my Pentazona barbs as soon as he was introduced. He picked on them til they were removed, now he is picking on the Gourami. If I take out the Gourami im certain he will turn attention to something else.

Anyway, I have decided to wait til the fry hatch, see if they survive, if not remove the fish. Failing that i'll have to try putting my Gourami in my parents tank and see what happens.

By the way, if the fry do hatch how do I feed them? Should i move them to a separate tank? I have a small 5 gallon that I use as a hospital tank which they could be housed in.

1 Not allowed!
    Your apistos will attack anything they deem a threat. To them, the bottom part of your tank is their territory... anything that gets close or appears to be getting close will be a potential threat. Apistos are extremely territorial and when there are eggs thrown into the mix, they become much more aggressive at defending their territory. If your Barbs are anything like my Black Ruby Barbs, they're all over the tank... not just the mid section. They scavenge the substrate, swim in the top and the middle. The Apisto has acknowledged this and will defend the bottom. Your Betta would likely be next on the list, because like the Honey Gourami, they're all over the tank... not just certain areas of it.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Your apistos will attack anything they deem a threat. To them, the bottom part of your tank is their territory... anything that gets close or appears to be getting close will be a potential threat. Apistos are extremely territorial and when there are eggs thrown into the mix, they become much more aggressive at defending their territory. If your Barbs are anything like my Black Ruby Barbs, they're all over the tank... not just the mid section. They scavenge the substrate, swim in the top and the middle. The Apisto has acknowledged this and will defend the bottom. Your Betta would likely be next on the list, because like the Honey Gourami, they're all over the tank... not just certain areas of it.
    Well the male must think the entire tank is his territory, he just swims around it, top, middle, bottom, front and back, and if he sees the gourami he will chase it and try to nip it. Whereas the female will only chase away fish that come right near her eggs. To me it seems the male is acting like a bully rather than displaying territorial aggression. Just my opinion I guess.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's what cichlids do. When i kept kribs they claimed near every inch of a 4 foot long tank and had my huge severum nailed into the corner. that's their nature. if the eggs hatch you can feed the fry crushed flakes. crush them almost to a powder and drop it right in front of where the fry are.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with what others have said. The female is guarding the eggs closely, while the male protects their entire "territory". When my cacs had eggs, then fry they claimed about 2/3 of the 20 gal long tank, with the male all over this space. He never bothered with a guppy I had in there as the guppy stayed at the top of the tank. But he would chase the rams in there to the back corner and even go looking for them to make sure they stayed away.