· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Brand new to aquariums. Fish not eating. Help!

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I am brand new to this world and I am hoping you can help me. We have a 40 gallon freshwater tank. We set it up and allowed it to fully cycle before adding any fish. We use the API master test kit and got zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and a low nitrate (I don't remember the exact number but it was well below the acceptable range). We purchased 6 black line tetras and 1 albino bristle nose pleco. The pleco seems to really be shy right now, so I try to keep the lights off when we are sleeping or not home so she can relax. (I think it is a girl there are no barbs on her nose.) I put in an algae wafer and noticed her eating it the first night however I haven't seen her eating since. I am guessing she probably eats while we are sleeping. My first question with her is how often do I give her a wafer? I don't want to overfeed.

The next question is regarding the tetras. We bought them the granule type of food. They have not eaten at all since we got them. We tried once yesterday morning and they didn't even act like we put anything in there. It all sank to the bottom. Hubby tried again this morning with just a tiny tiny amount and again, nothing. He said it sank really fast and was concerned they never even had a chance to see it. Tonight, I put in 2 to 3 granules above where they were just to see if they would try to eat. I figured if they acted like they want food, I could add more and if they didn't that was only a tiny bit to mess up my tank floor. They were too busy swimming away from my hand to bother with food. Again, failed attempt to feed. So, will they look for the food on the bottom of the tank? Is it common for them not to eat yet after more than 48 hours in a new tank with good water? Just a little worried about them.

Thanks for the help and insight!

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    They may still be stressed from the move and all the new activity around their new home. Since it's been two days I suggest checking the parameters again and make sure they are still 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and low nitrates. Leave the tank lights off for a day and let the fish relax, then try feeding a flake food. Flake food will stay at the top longer and allow them to realize it's there. Your pleco is a nocturnal fish and it's common for them to hide all day.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I checked the parameters about an hour ago and we are still good to go there. I will try that and see what happens! The hubby and I were just worried they were sick or something. Hopefully it is just stress. They are incredibly active and schooling most of the time but freak if we get anywhere near the tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 8 different schools of tetras in a 55 and they are piggies! Maybe a days worth of stress when homing them. I use flakes, but also these floating micro pellets about the size of a dog flea for a treat. NOTHING ever hits bottom, they wont allow it. I have yet to see any of my tetras peck the bottom for food, they just dont do that.
    The more time you spend the better. I spend ALOT of time sitting with my tanks. They get used to you fast. They are always at the front glass. Sometimes I run my finger down the glass and they are so nosy they follow it all over LOL
    BTW while mine are pigs, I have them so they only respond for food to me tapping my wedding ring on the plastic frame. I only do this at feeding at 10 am and 8pm, but I admit I'm evil. I tap sometimes then watch for a minute before feeding. They go so bonkers you think I never feed them!
    55 Gallon community tank.
    55 Gallon Cichlid in progress.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    29 Gallon, Planted with my Panda Garra fry.
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pellets that sink probably aren't the best idea. They won't pick it off the floor. Try flakes, and do something to let them know food is coming...I usually flick the lights.

They may just be skittish still. Fish can live for a while without food if they have to, so don't freak out too much yet. :)

The pleco...feed at least once a day with wafers unless you see leftovers in the morning.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have driftwood in the tank?...plecos tend to do much better if they have DW to cling to, and rummage bits off of...also, fresh veggies at least once a week are a must for plecos...zucchini, cucumber, spinach, etc...

Good advice above on the tetras, they need a high quality floating flake food
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Also, if you feed with the tank light on, turn the light on 20-30 minutes before you feed so their eyes can adjust (they don't have eyelids).

You can also try freeze-dried and/or frozen bloodworms. They are my fishes' favorite food. Thaw the frozen ones in a small bowl of tank water.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good chance the pleco is picking up that sinking food overnight? Obvs take the advice above on good pleci care!

My tetras are all greedy pigs as well - perhaps ask the place you got them from what type of feed they've been given there? I have about 10 different types of fish food and we alternative every day - that way there's something for everyone. They always look healthy :)
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 10x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 2x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta & black devil trumpet snail

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I tried to go by the place I bought them but they were closed. Instead I went to Petco and bought them Omega One flakes. They didn't go for it immediately, but they did eat after I walked away and watched from a distance. I will try the tips you all mentioned about letting them know food is coming to see if that helps. I read the ingredients and the main ingredients are all fish, not fish meal. Is that the what I need to be looking for?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The new flakes are doing great. They are happy to eat now. Thanks ya'll.