· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help identifying this plant

0 Not allowed!
    I was wondering if anyone knew what this plant might be:

If you, can anyone tell me how to trim it as its lovely but getting far too big for my tank.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a Ceratopteris thalictroides aka the Water Sprite
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    Looks like a Ceratopteris thalictroides aka the Water Sprite
    Great cheers. Seems they cant be trimmed as they arent a stem plant? I'll just buy a fresh one tomorrow I think, they always look better than trimmed plants anyway.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

4. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Trim that guy up! Just take stems off near the base of the plant if you can. They unfurl and grow back nicely. No need to buy a new one...goodness knows they grow like mad, and produce floaters with roots you can plant. I have several water sprite plants and just continually renew them by trimming and planting the plantlets if I want.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
    Great cheers. Seems they cant be trimmed as they arent a stem plant? I'll just buy a fresh one tomorrow I think, they always look better than trimmed plants anyway.
    Seems to fit your style of aquarium keeping. Each to his own I suppose . Perhaps give the old plants away to someone else?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love water sprite - don't throw it out and buy a new one! That would be madness! Trim and tame what you've got!

I am the only person in the world who doesn't seem to be able to grow manic water sprite so I am very envious - I think it's gorgeous and the fish just love darting in and out. The stuff I have now is still from cutting from the first plant I ever bought years ago. Back then I had a horrid tiny overstocked tank so the plant did really well on all the fish dung. I gave tons of it away and also kept growing it through different tanks :). You should be proud of your plant, not planning to chuck it out!
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 3x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fair enough I will keep it :)

However, I bought a different plant and rather than make a new thread could I get an ID on it so I know how much nutrients/co2/light it needs?