· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Bolivian ram 'dancing' at the front glass

0 Not allowed!
    I got a female Bolvian ram a few days ago and she seems agitated, she spends a lot of time at the front of the glass dancing from side to side. Is this normal behavior? Could she be wanting a mate as I was told Bolivians are fine on their own?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

Awards Showcase

For your loss. - steeler1 <3 - Sandz Let's have a toast...TO DISCUS!!! - Slaphppy7 So I don't have to drink alone to celebrate your new discus ;-) - wgoldfarb One more fish for the tank, happy the Discus got thier in such great shape. - steeler1 
    A Toast To An Awesome Discus Owner! - Slaphppy7 For a succesfull Discus move!! - steeler1 A toast to more discus! - Slaphppy7 For another safe arrival! - steeler1 For the loss of you Cory's - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    When I first got my Bolivian Ram I saw the same behavior, once he settled in I saw this jerky movement less. He does it now on occasion when he's waiting to be fed. Make sure she has some nice places to take cover, mine loves to hide amongst the plants and driftwood

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I seen some fish do this as they are testing their boundaries of the tank. Some of my mollies still do it, also they will peck microbes off the glass as well. Providing spaces for it to escape will help as well.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    that is what a harassed fish does when it is trying to find a better place. with my bolivians, that is what the defeated fish and the new ones do. it is what a female does when chased too often by its mate,
    and it is what males do when brooding females make clear they are unwanted. in essence they are trying to go out and find a new place to live because they know they aren't the boss in the tank. once things settle down they stop. I hear your lone female is being harassed by apistos, so that is likely the main reason.

either that or it is begging for food, in which case the behavior should stop when it gets fed.
    Last edited by madagascariensis; 02-06-2014 at 01:05 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The ram is in a different tank now as the Apistos were just chasing it every time they saw it. It is in with tetras, barbs, pleco, silver dollar, kribensis, and s. algae eater. None of the fish are bothering it, the only time some did was when it was first introduced, now they just swim by ignoring it.

It doesnt always do it, at this moment it is pecking at the substrate facing away from the glass.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta