· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Betta on his last legs...

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

Hope someone can help me out here.

I've had my betta splendens for about 1.5yrs (probably got him in July 2012). Aside from his chronic fin rot problems, he's been pretty happy and healthy. The only times he's had fin rot is when I've made changes. When I add plants or when I moved him from a 10gal to a 20L, etc. It seems change stresses him out and causes health issues. Anyway... his tank has been relatively the same for some time now (and the params have been stable for the time I've had him), but he's come down with some issues.

Over the last week or two, he's been really sluggish/lethargic. He sits on the substrate, by propping up his fins to keep himself upright, though he often turns on his side to find a comfortable spot. I've also noticed some fin damage (ala fin rot like usual). At first glance, this is fairly typical behavior of him being sick. When he gets fin rot, he becomes lethargic. However, the usual remedies have not helped. Fungus Guard has worked in the past, usually after only one dosing. Two dosings of the stuff (per instructions) has not helped. Also, catappa leaves have had little effect, which usually perks him up a bit.

In addition to this, I've noticed that in order to feed, he stares almost straight up at the surface of the water, while sitting on the substrate. He'll go after food, but I feel like it takes a lot out of him. After observing his swimming habits, I noticed that he has a swelling on one of his sides, too...

I'm at a loss... I have no idea what to do for the poor guy. The other fish/shrimp/snails are doing quite fine in the tank. I have 8 Otos that are healthy and doing well. I would assume they'd be feeling the effects of anything bad in the tank, first, rather than a Betta... especially water params, since they're anabatoids.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts you could throw my way?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    His behavior sounds a lot like the last week of a honey gourami I had that recently passed. I'd give the betta a few more days in the off chance that it will go away, but if it gets worse or doesn't improve, I'd euthanize it.

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh man, that stinks. =/ You think it's old age?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2 Not allowed!
    small anabantids aren't known for longevity, and certainly not with the way bettas are treated in their early life. I think it certainly is a possibility that your betta has reached its limits.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks madagascar, I appreciate it. I was hoping it wasn't something I did and you're right about how they're actually treated prior to reaching a home. Makes sense - I just feel bad for the guy. Sad to see him like that.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    You gave the betta a wonderful home for 1-1/2 years...that's a lot more than many others fate. Still sucks though, I feel for you...

1 Not allowed!
    Agreed...1.5 years is about as much as you can expect out of a commercial betta. Im sure it was a well treated fish and his present state is simply old age...let nature take its course and consider rescuing another poor soul in the future.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both, I appreciate the kind words. I feel bad, but I'm pleased to hear that there's a general consensus of what's happening and I'm happy to have provided a good home to the little guy. I'll just monitor him and when it's his time, it'll be his time. I don't think I'll rush it along, as he's still trying to live and still comes to eat. If he wasn't eating, I think I'd probably put him down, but he's still got an appetite. =/

When he does pass, I'm actually thinking of stocking the 20L with a couple schools of small tetras (like Green Neons) and Rasbora Dwarf Emerald to go along with the 8 Otos I have. Hopefully get some more activity in there with low bioload fish. Think I'll rescape, though, and attempt to get all the dumb snails out. ;/

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    you mean 20 Gallon? 20 liters would be kind of small...
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    you mean 20 Gallon? 20 liters would be kind of small...
    20gal Long.