· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canister or HOB?

0 Not allowed!
    hi,
    I am soon to buy a 50 gallon aquarium from petsmart. It`s just a hood combo so no filter. Ive only had two aquariums previous to this new one and
    they`ve both had HOBs. What are the pro`s and con`s to using a canister Filter

1 Not allowed!
    Canisters are quieter, less maintenance, have more room in them for media and allow you to have your tank closer to the wall.

Hobs are easier to clean and are cheaper.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    I have Aquaclear hobs on both of my tanks, and they're excellent filters. Easy to clean, easy to interchange media, usually (but not always) quiet, and I like the waterfalls. They come with flow control valves to adjust the current, and two intake tubes that allow you to piggyback if you have a deeper tank. Other filters might also have that feature.

I would take an Aquaclear hob anytime over a cannister. Can't be beat, in my opinion.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    A good cannister is noiseless. It's out of sight. It's quite a few times bigger than the average hob filter so you have more filter media and therefore more bacteria. They also allow you a lot more freedom in the filter media you use. With a lot of aquarium hoods passing filter hoses is easy and requires no modification. A hob filter might require you to take a saw to the filter.

Only real drawback of a cannister is the pricetag.

0 Not allowed!
    Cannister filters will also allow you to place your aquarium and stand closer to the wall than a HOB filter as the cannister filter itself will sit under the tank inside the stand.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    With a lot of aquarium hoods passing filter hoses is easy and requires no modification. A hob filter might require you to take a saw to the filter.
    With a vinyl strip along the back of most lids, modification to accommodate the mouth of the filter box and intake tube of an Aquaclear is fairly easy. Just measure the length and width of the opening you'll need, draw in your lines and a nice sharp pocket knife will carve out the space. Some vinyl strips are soft enough you can cut them with a scissors.

There are no hoses with an Aquaclear, and one certainly wouldn't be sawing the filter. (I assume the poster meant sawing the lid strip.)

There may not be that much of an advantage in being able to place the aquarium closer to the wall. Should you ever need to access the rear of the tank for any reason, it could be a problem.

For instance, if you've attached a background mural and it starts to come off, it would be nice to be able to reach down the back of the tank.

The Aquaclears really don't take up that much room, and for simple, uncomplicated filters that are easy to work with, I've found them the best.

This is just my preference.

-- mermaid
    Last edited by mermaidwannabe; 02-09-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Only real drawback of a cannister is the pricetag.
    This.

I have canisters on all but two of my tanks. Eventually I'll upgrade those two to canisters as well. They're superior to hob filters in every way.

-S

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    one way that I find canisters are not superior to HOBs is for flowrate and mechanical filtration. I like to use both canisters and HOBs on my tanks. HOBs are generally much easier to clean also.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    With a vinyl strip along the back of most lids, modification to accommodate the mouth of the filter box and intake tube of an Aquaclear is fairly easy
    Aquariums sold over here tend not to have such a strip.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I think he was referring to the glass canopies that you can buy for aquariums not the tanks themselves dutchie
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!