· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default HOB or Drilled overflow

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like to hear some pros cons and experiences with the siphon start hang on overflow boxes VS drilling the tank and having the fitting submerged.
    Using Tapatalk

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think the responses you will get will state that drilling is always better. I am currently building a 120g with a custom beananimal coast to coast overflow. I am drilling through the back glass. I have 3 hob siphons that I got with the tank but opted not to use them just due to reliability issues. There are many that will say they have never had an issue but most will say it is bound to happen. Mine has 3 drains one is the main drain, one is an open channel that catches the fluctuations in flow and becomes a full flow main drain should the primary ever become clogged. The 3rd is an emergency channel should the other two become blocked. You can follow along in my saltwater build thread in my signature.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With any equipment though maintenance keeps them operating properly and no matter how good or highly rated any product can fail.
    I do believe that a drilled overflow would simplify an already complex and delicate system.
    Using Tapatalk

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been following your build an I am inspired by your dedication to your sisters memory.
    Using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Niether approach is really complex, once you have gone through and set up one.

Gravity based drains are better IMO as there is no siphon to lose. Therefor, in the even of a power failure, or interruption in the operation of your return pump, you can have you system start back up again without any problems or water on the floor.

The below can help better explain a lot of things

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aqu...umbing-basics/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/some-sump-basics/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If i do drill and my calculations are correct I would need a 1" drain line and a 3/4" pressure line due to the fittings and head pressure.

That should give me 926gph on the drain and 1,084gph @ 3.7' & 52psi.
    Never setup a tank like this but do these number sound reasonable? How much noise? I plan on using PEX for most of my plumbing.
    Using Tapatalk

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think that is correct... I believe a 1" Standpipe drain Durso style will only yield about 600GPH at best. Cliff will correct me if I am wrong The BeanAnimal system I am doing is dead silent. though I don't really know how noisy the others are cause I have not had one. My tanks are right in my office where I work so quiet is good for me.

What size tank are you thinking of building?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    90 gallon considering a 125
    Using Tapatalk

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    I don't think that is correct... I believe a 1" Standpipe drain Durso style will only yield about 600GPH at best. Cliff will correct me if I am wrong The BeanAnimal system I am doing is dead silent. though I don't really know how noisy the others are cause I have not had one. My tanks are right in my office where I work so quiet is good for me.

What size tank are you thinking of building?
    Is the reduced flow due to the 180 degree bend?
    Using Tapatalk

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I based my calculation off of the formula (p/e)pGPH=AFR and this chart.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391631857.675418.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1391631887.623734.jpg
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast