· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Missing Dwarf Chain Loach?

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I was fortunate enough to purchase five dwarf chain loaches from my LFS. I acclimated them and they seemed to introduce to the tank and other fish nicely. I woke up, fed them and left for the day. When I got home my wife informed me that she could only find four. I quickly went to investigate and counted the same. I looked everywhere; caves, behind and under rocks, wood, and plants, behind filter sponges, in filters, the floor, absolutely everywhere. I'm left with the sinking feeling that it may have been consumed by the other loaches. Is that even possible? The one that is missing was the second smallest. However, it was extremely active and want being bullied that I observed.

I have a tight fitting lid with barely room for a suicide jump. The other tankmates are black neons, neons, and julli corys. Am I missing something here? Anywhere else I should check? I've never experienced this before. And when I've paid as much add I did for these guys, it's a hard pill to swallow.
    First 29g Tank: In process

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    One thing I have learned so far with fish is that they are very good at hiding if they want to or get into places they should be able to like a small hole in some driftwood or behind a sealed background. Try counting again at the next feeding. And also check your parameters just in case you did lose it you don't get an ammonia spike.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the mystery has been solved. I decided to do a deep clean of the tank and a big water change in hopes of locating the guy. After about a hour of cleaning, moving, checking, still nothing. I was just about completely finished when I saw a lone fish head floating through the tank. :( My worst fear was realized.

At this point I'm at a loss of what to do. I plan on taking what was left of the guy back to the LFS I bought it from in hopes they will honor their guarantee. Does anyone think this would be covered? Or does this seem like something that wouldn't be honored? I bought them Monday and they were home and in the tank by 1:00pm. Almost exactly 24 hours later my wife notices one missing. 8 hours after that I confirmed it was dead. I don't know a lot about loaches, but I don't think they would have turned on one of their own, killed it, and then had dinner. Maybe I'm mistaken? Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated!

0 Not allowed!
    Since you bought them recently my guess would be that one succumbed to the stress and shock and, once dead, the other fish just did what was natural.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I went back to the store the next day with the little bit of fish I was able to get out of the tank along with a water sample. The exact words of the employee as I walked in carrying a baggie with a tiny dwarf loach head in it, "Oh...that can't be good." You think! lol He asked what kind of fish it was. I told him a dwarf chain. "Oh, that really sucks! Thanks again!

My water tested great and they quickly got me another one to take home with the guarantee. It has since been doing great along with the others. The fish guy thought it most likely was a jump in pH. He tested the stores water and compared it to mine and there is a definite difference. I took my time acclimating the new guy and all is well.

Hopefully these guys will settle in nicely.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal on getting them to replace it free of charge
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope that guy does better than the first that sometimes happens to my fish but normally it was because my frog ate them but he's gone now. I'm happy you figured out where your fish went to though.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hope the new one settles in well.
    Sadly they don't always make the transition from store to home ... My store is great in terms of replacing a departed fish-friend, if the water tests appropriately, but I always feel like I've somehow killed them :(.
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 10x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 2x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta & black devil trumpet snail