· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What to do with a 20g?

0 Not allowed!
    I need ideas.. Inspiration! I have an empty, lonely 20g (not long... I guess then it's tall?) sitting dry. I can't decide what to do with it so I need help.

I DON'T want it planted and I want a rocky look to it. I already have my 10g planted and I want to do something different with this one. Also I don't want to spend another fortune on lighting, plants, co2..etc.

Considered cichlids but of course only small shellies or julis would be appropriate but I want it to be more active as those fish are so territorial so there could only be a few fish in there.
    So, given that info and if you were me wwyd? Are there any other fish that are cool that live in a rocky environment? I'm OK with adding driftwood, maybe some moss but nothing demanding. Thanks guys!
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Rocky...I would go with something like lace rock chunks with branchy roots covered in java moss. Soften the rock work with anubias plants shoved in the crevices. Standard tank lighting is fine...sand substrate and possibly some leaf litter with indian almond leaves. Maybe toss in some floating plants such as hornwort or dwarf water lettuce as well.

Stock I would go with 8 Threadfin Rainbows, 12 Pygmy cories...and of course some nerite snails and amano shrimp.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Step 1) add rock/gravel
    Step 2) add water
    Step 3) add fish
    Step 4) ?????
    Step 5) PROFIT!

on a more serious note you could do a nano reef tank?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    I'd second mchr's layout but would change up the stock. Lots you can do depending on the focus fish you want
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Rocky...I would go with something like lace rock chunks with branchy roots covered in java moss. Soften the rock work with anubias plants shoved in the crevices. Standard tank lighting is fine...sand substrate and possibly some leaf litter with indian almond leaves. Maybe toss in some floating plants such as hornwort or dwarf water lettuce as well.

Stock I would go with 8 Threadfin Rainbows, 12 Pygmy cories...and of course some nerite snails and amano shrimp.
    I do love the look of threadfins... My LFS has some in stock and they're pretty. I do already have pygmy cories in my 10g though so would definitely find some other kind of bottom dweller. I like kuhlis but they hide so much there's no point. I'm not opposed to moving my 2 amanos from my 10 to the new set up.
    Last edited by 1Sarah; 02-04-2014 at 02:37 AM.
    Don't poke the crazy

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    Step 1) add rock/gravel
    Step 2) add water
    Step 3) add fish
    Step 4) ?????
    Step 5) PROFIT!

on a more serious note you could do a nano reef tank?
    Lol would love to do reef some day, but definitely can't spend that kind of cash at this point. If only I had a money tree...
    Don't poke the crazy

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally I prefer a planted tank, but if I were using only rocks I would build up one corner to hide as much of the heater etc as I can and have rocks sort of tiered out from that high corner. I plan on trying this in my 30L tank, although I'm going at add foreground plants around the place. I would use some wood as well.

I would stock the tank with a couple bristlenose plecos and try to breed them - make plenty of caves and crevices amongst the rocks, and probably add some sort of tetra. I would add guppies and use it for my breeding set up.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also; I wouldnt let the fact that Khuli's like to hide, stop you from keeping them. I have 3 Khuli's in my community tank and can always see atleast one and I see them all at feeding time.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by philthy View Post
    Also; I wouldnt let the fact that Khuli's like to hide, stop you from keeping them. I have 3 Khuli's in my community tank and can always see atleast one and I see them all at feeding time.
    We had 5 in our 100g a number of years ago and we thought for sure they'd died because we never saw them. When tearing down the tank we found them all huddled together under a rock lol. We were shocked!
    Don't poke the crazy

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    That is similar to how we found out our mollies spawned - I was tearing the tank down to move it to a more stable spot and after I got most of the water out and removed the decor, I found them swimming in the gravel as I was about to start scooping that out.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!