· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fish Gulping At Surface When Lights Go out

0 Not allowed!
    I am having a problem where at night time within less then an hour of the lights turning off my fish are acting like they're going to die, all of them at top of water and gulping. This is driving me nuts, I have done every thing I could, fresh water change prime but the fish insist on doing this. I am losing way too much sleep being up all night worrying I'm going to lose my fish as I have invested over $400 in just stock. I have two eheim canister filters, tank is a 40 gallon, has 2 king tiger pleco's, 3 Bolivian rams, 4 oto's, 10 cardinal tetras, and a couple pepper Corry catfish.

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    Ph is consistent as I only use one water supply and it has never changed.

I have added a double dose of prime to try and stop whatever it is right now.

I am ready to call it quits with fish as I can't handle the stress anymore, this hobby has never been stressful to me until lately. I had a power outage the other night and my tank was without power overnight and it got cooler and filters weren't on... Since then I have been stressed.

Another night where I can't sleep because of this...

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest to stop adding prime. Only use it for a water changes at the suggested single dose amount. Over dosing prime can reduce the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water and might be contributing to your current situation.

Do you have the return lines on your filters creating a lot of turbulence in the water at the top of the tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have only added a single dose to remove ammonia from tap water, then the double dose tonight to try and stop anything I can't see.

Canisters have a spray bar to agitate the surface all day and when night tone comes around I try to quiet the agitation by putting the bar close to the water so it doesn't make hardly makes any noise. But an hour of less agitation shouldn't lead to this.

1 Not allowed!
    Try leaving the spray as is as see what happens

By that I mean do not direct it down into the tank at night as you described. The flow down into the tank might be stressing them combined with somewhat lower oxygen amounts could be causing this change in behavior
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Is this tank planted at all? Are you running CO2? Have you lost any fish? Is there an area where they can drift and "sleep" that has little to no current? Any chance of a tank shot?

1 Not allowed!
    Sound like an aeration issue. Lift the filter outflow to create more surface agitation, or add an air pump and air stone.

0 Not allowed!
    Do you know the TDS (total dissolved solids) in your water ? Also, what is your current pH at ?

If I remember correctly, you live in rural Saskatchewan not too far from Regina. It is very common to have very high TDS in the ground water in that region. If you are using well water which has higher levels of TDS then that would limit the amount of oxygen in your water.

0 Not allowed!
    If it's that high then this user has a lot more issues waiting for him down the line. Pretty much that entire list is soft to neutral water.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Try leaving the spray as is as see what happens

By that I mean do not direct it down into the tank at night as you described. The flow down into the tank might be stressing them combined with somewhat lower oxygen amounts could be causing this change in behavior
    I brought the bar above the surface after my last post. But they still insisted to be at the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Is this tank planted at all? Are you running CO2? Have you lost any fish? Is there an area where they can drift and "sleep" that has little to no current? Any chance of a tank shot?
    Tank is planted, without any c02, most thing i do is dose a little excel when i do a water change. I have a lot of driftwood and places to hide for the fish to sleep that was my first thought was that they dont have anywhere to sleep and naturally look for a calm place. But when they're all over i doubt thats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Sound like an aeration issue. Lift the filter outflow to create more surface agitation, or add an air pump and air stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Do you know the TDS (total dissolved solids) in your water ? Also, what is your current pH at ?

If I remember correctly, you live in rural Saskatchewan not too far from Regina. It is very common to have very high TDS in the ground water in that region. If you are using well water which has higher levels of TDS then that would limit the amount of oxygen in your water.
    If i can remember correctly we had out water tested and it was over 1000 tds i believe. PH is steady at around 8.5, I didn't know that about having high tds it would limit the oxygen in the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    If it's that high then this user has a lot more issues waiting for him down the line. Pretty much that entire list is soft to neutral water.
    I have never had problems before a couple weeks ago, i have bred my bolivian rams, and my american flag fish. I dont think they would be breeding if they didn't like the water.

0 Not allowed!
    1000 TDS is really very high TDS indeed. That would certainly contribute to, or limit, the amount of oxygen content the water is able to hold for the fish. It would also be responsible for you higher pH of 8.5. I would suggest leaving the spray bars pointed up-ward to create the most surface agitation as possible to help compensate for the TDS. A airstone might also help here as well.

You might also want to consider mixing RO water with your tap water when complete waterchanges (about 40% of the water being RO water). If you were to do some small daily water changes like this for a week or two, it would help to lower the TDS and help you increase the amount of oxygen in the water. But keep in mind, you have to do this slowly as it will lower your pH.
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-03-2014 at 04:59 PM.