· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm with Trilliane , just give it a shot and see what happens.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone considered hosting it on YouTube? I see a lot of places use YouTube as a platform and assign several admins to upload and manage videos.
    Using Tapatalk

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does it cost the forum money to upload videos? if so, I was just about to mention YouTube. YouTube pays the uploader if you get enough views/likes. To help pay for the extra cost on the forum, (and of course ideal lighting for Slaphappy,) you could upload all the videos posted on here to the YouTube channel and I'm sure you could get some views, as well as new members! The channel wouldn't make a ton of money, but it would help.
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii. And soon to be Balansae crypts, and probably more crypts... Blame Compass!

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I am sure it costs the forums money if they are doing the hosting and streaming. Not so much if it is just linked to youtube channels
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    Does it cost the forum money to upload videos? if so, I was just about to mention YouTube. YouTube pays the uploader if you get enough views/likes. To help pay for the extra cost on the forum, (and of course ideal lighting for Slaphappy,) you could upload all the videos posted on here to the YouTube channel and I'm sure you could get some views, as well as new members! The channel wouldn't make a ton of money, but it would help.
    I just did that and put a plug in my video in several spots for AC. YouTube is my obvious choice being free and easy to link here. I think it's a good idea actually to make video "stickeys" on the basics of fish keeping.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use YouTube for my business and I have never paid for anything. And the search will pull up an original name if people are looking for you.
    Using Tapatalk

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

1 Not allowed!
    There is a difference between using YouTube to host (and risking them have someone try to claim copyright over it and place ad's on your video to monetize it) and you hosting and paying for the bandwidth yourself. Plus if you do hosting then you have to be prepared to handle possible DMCA requests and the whatnot. That's why so many people just elect to use YouTube.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, yes... just bow to and feed into the Google machine. We all do it... even if we don't want to. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2 Not allowed!
    This is something I have thought about many times but found that i do not have the time or resources to do myself. With the support of the community behind me and if there are people willing to help make videos it might however be a very different situation.

There has been a number of good points made above and I am going to try to handle most of them below.

Hosting and hosting cost: It is true that it can be very expensive to host video content but that is a cost that I am willing to absorb if we could get this project going as I think it will be managable and that it could to a large extent (allbeit not completely) be offset by allowing some advertising. The reason I say it can be kept manageable is that it would be a selection of selected videos and not just a general video collection where anyone could uploads videos like youtube. I would expect that that the video section would loose about USD 100 a month (after potentiall add revenue). A number that I would be willing to cover. That number might grow larger if the section gets very popular but if that happens it is a pleasent problem to have.

DMCA: DMCA could be a problem but should be manageable as well when dealing with selected videos while refraining from using copyrighted rock music etc in the videos. The videos would to a large extent be informational so public domain music and speach should do well in most cases.

Video Prooduction: this is the main area where I do not have the time or resources to make this a reality but if members where willing to sarifice some of their time to make it happen (and wave their normal usd 500 fee ;-) ) than it is feasible to do it. I could contribute some videos but could not populate an entire section.

Video streaming: new software would have to be installed but that should not be an issue.

Youtube VS AC: I think it would be best to host such a project on AC rather then youtube. Yes it would be associated with work and costs but I think the benefits of hosting it locally would outweigh those costs. Benefits include:

• Total control of the video
    • Promting AC not Youtube. People watching a video on AC would be infinitely more likely to join AC than someone watching the video on youtube. I know how seldom I go to the website form a youtube video
    • It would likely bring links to AC (the hard currency of the web)
    • Potentiall add revenue could cover cost in stead of most being kept by google. If add revenue increased beyond hosting cost money could be used for other improvements or to content creators. We could potentially also use patreon.com to allow people to volenteer to pay usd1 (or more if they so desire) a month to support the section. Money that could be used for more videos.

AC-Tv would however not be easy. An alternative might be start with AC-radio but that as well would need the support of the community.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Default AC-TV, Aquatic Community Television

0 Not allowed!
    Question... What about making a aquaticcommunity YouTube channel? So when someone searches a video on YouTube, finds one they can see it's from us and come check out the site.

Dustin's fish tanks and DIY aquarium are both good examples of this.

But need to do it once a week, make it consistent.

How can it be controlled? Videos submitted to a mod (like photos are for comps), mod reviews the video, inserts the AC logo page at the beginning and then a "come check out aquatic community forum" page at the end
    Last edited by Triton; 02-03-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast