· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Molly pregnant?

1. Default Molly pregnant?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all. Just wondering if anyone can tell if either of my mollies are prego. Sorry for the crummy pic, they just wont ever keep still LOL. There are no spots as I can tell. The gold lyre is the smaller belly, while the nugget belly is quite large. I know not the sexes, and still cant figure out how to tell. I only have these two, with a bunch of different tetras, an angel, my lobster and two killis in my main 55 tank. I think they are just piggies and fat. Well until tonight. They did the most amusing "dance" I have ever seen. They would chase each other for a short run, then roll against and over each other, and being blunt a 69 thing. This went on over an hour. I would certainly like to know ahead so I can break out my little tank and seed filters to it if I need a nursery. Thanks much!DSC00341.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Livebearers are quite easy to sex. The anal fin of adult males(the unpaired single fin behind the abdominal cavity. Is a rod shape while that of a female looks normal. If it is a male then of course, that rules out pregnancy.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    you may have one pregnant one there at least. And remember they can give birth several times without a male after getting pregnant - and they breed like rabbits.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies! I just spent some time checking them out. The moonlight program is on and they are quite quiet now. I believe they are both females. The Lyre tail seems to have much more elegant fin work all around. The anal fin on this one is an upside down heart, attached to the body at the point of the heart. Very long and flowing. The nugget seems to have the regular anal fin and it is rounded. However my confusion is that when free floating, it is extended and flowing, when running around it is tight to the body. They WERE with some other mollies, some may have been male, but some 2 months ago or more.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Remember female mollies can store sperm for future pregnancies, sometimes several. Their normal incubation period 3-4 weeks I believe. They also have pregnancy "spots" on their bellies as they get further along
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!