· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Brown and Green Slime

0 Not allowed!
    Just started in the hobby since childhood. Started tank about 7 weeks ago and added 2 baby koi 5 weeks ago. Water has been crystal clear with old pump and only a bio bag carbon filter. Water test are all at low level ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates rising.
    Noticed a week ago some brown slime forming and what looked like a long hair in the intake tube on the filter. Tonight I now have brown and green slime. Glass is clean, water still crystal clear, water tested same as last week.
    Normal or issue?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391406306.444633.jpg
    Using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Hard to tell from the pics

It almost sounds like you may have both diatoms and cyanobacteria. I would suggest googling some pics of both to see

When you test your water, what are the exact results? What type of lighting do you have and how long are they on for ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ph 7.4
    Ammonia 0.0
    Nitrite .25
    Nitrate 20
    "Aquar-lux" 24 watt fluorescent about 8 hrs a day
    Using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Hard to tell from the pics

It almost sounds like you may have both diatoms and cyanobacteria. I would suggest googling some pics of both to see

When you test your water, what are the exact results? What type of lighting do you have and how long are they on for ?
    Are you running LED lights? I've been speaking to LFS owners/managers and they noticed an increase of the cyano in tanks with LED light.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFox364 View Post
    Normal or issue?
    Like Forrest said, 'I think it's both".

I think it is the diatoms, as I too am dealing with them in my 55gal. I just got new LED system(hmm).
    Check This AC article.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great thanks fellas
    Using Tapatalk

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I opened the filter tonight and I will be upgrading to a new fluval. I contacted the manufacturer of my current pump and it is discontinued. Had to use universal "bio-bags" as a filter which has no bio-media except the disposable filter mesh. It sounds like I need to grow some BB and soon.
    Using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pRED View Post
    Like Forrest said, 'I think it's both".

I think it is the diatoms, as I too am dealing with them in my 55gal. I just got new LED system(hmm).
    Check This AC article.
    Lighting will not cause diatoms. There are caused when you have silicates in the water

The type of lighting is not significant to causing algae. T12, T8, T5, CFl, MH, or LED, it`s all the same. It`s the light intensity and color temperature of the lighting that will contribute to algae growth
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info Cliff, tho it was Surfdog that posted he heard from lfs owners about LED's increasing cyano. I had a 'hmm' mention due to my recent LED purchase. Your facts reveal that my new LED fixture does have more intensity.
    (Marineland Single Bright LED to a Current Satellite LED +)

Silicates, could you give quick explanation, or link? Thanks
    Last edited by pRED; 02-04-2014 at 03:38 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Not diatom but cyano was what they mentioned. I added LED to my 150 and ended up swapping back to my HO light bars when I had constant red slime issues. No issues with LED on my fresh tho.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15