· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Unable To Get Test Kit

0 Not allowed!
    So apparently none of the pet shops near us have ammonia and nitrite test kit.
    I have a 50 gallon aquarium and two 3 inches goldfish.
    And this is what I have as a filter: CLICK ME.

My question is, is it possible to estimate how much ammonia and nitrite my aquarium simply by cycling for x number of days?

How often should I change the water?
    How much water should I change per session?
    How long should I do it?

Before I could be sure that I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.
    Because I'm planning to buy a new fish.
    And another question is, is it possible the ammonia/nitrite will come back if I add new fishes?

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    what country are you in? if you can order from amazon the API Master Freshwater Test kit is roughly $25, which will let you test pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

1 Not allowed!
    If you have had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite before, and have just continued with your normal maintenance, likely nothing will have changed.

there is no real way to estimate ammonia and nitrite concentration, because there are many factors, such as how much you feed, rate of decomposition of food and waste,
    tank size, fish size and metabolism, etc.

for an uncycled tank, playing it safe would be changing out 50% every day, while for a cycled tank maybe about 50% a week. if you had a test kit, you could more accurately determine how much water to change.

it is always recommended to add fish gradually, so bacteria can keep up. a "mini cycle" usually happens when too many fish are added relative to the amount of bacteria currently in the tank, and there will be water quality issues
    until the bacetria population grows to fit the new load.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm from Philippines. I can't order online sadly. u.u
    My tank wasn't cycled before. In fact a lot of fishes died when we bought them, because we had no idea about cycling and such.
    If I change 50% of the water everyday, how long will I have to do that? Before I can safely say that it has 0 ammonia/nitrite.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Cycling with fish can take several months. you may not need to do that much every day. When I did mine I did a 30-40% change twice a week and that was enough to keep the ammonia down. Of course my stock was only 6 mollies in a 37 gallon tank. So it is different with every tank.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I was able to get a test kit. I asked a friend to buy it.
    And this is the only one that he got.

http://www.aquapetbargain.com/azoo-n...l#.Uvix687LHPE

The test kit has 5 bottles.
    3 contains liquid.
    1 contains a bit of powder. (Called test powder)
    1 is an empty vial.

The instruction said that I must get 5ml of water.
    Add 5 drops from bottle 1 then shake.
    Add 5 drops from bottle 2 then shake.
    Add 5 drops from bottle 3 then shake.
    Add one spoon of test powder then shake.

But if you look at the picture, the test powder bottle is really small, and it doesn't even contain much.
    Has anyone used this Azoo ammonia test kit before? Or at least a test kit that had a "test powder" too.

I tried putting a tiny bit of powder, maybe less than a pinch. Then waited 10 minutes as instructed.
    But the water didn't change color. I have a feeling that's not accurate...

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just realized the thing is supposed to come with a tiny spoon.
    So tiny that a half a pinch of powder was just right.

But anywayy, still, the water didn't change color. So I'm not sure if I did it wrong or my tank has somehow finished cycling. (Because I did change its water a lot of times.)

Is it normal for the liquids to smell bad? It smells like burning wire.