· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    Their bellies should look normal flatish/slightly rounded if they have eaten recently.

This low quality photo is mine to compare normal pleco belly:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-K...o/CRW_9056.jpg

If it looks more like its swallowed a marble, that's a sign of illness and bloat.
    If it looks concave (caved in), then the pleco is starving for some reason.
    Ah, I see! I'll be checking in with my pet store to see what healthy ones they have in stock, if any.

I was once told to purchase the largest plecos/otos. Supposedly those are the ones that have survived the longest. Is this true?
    Main Tank - 55g with four white cloud mountain minnows, five peppered cory catfish (occasionally treated with frozen bloodworms), and three ghost shrimp. HOB filter is a Top Fin 75, fully cycled. Air supply is a dual-output air pump, with the two lines connected with a T-valve into one airstone block. Not planted, but has five artificial decoration plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Only as it relates to belly size amongst fish of the same size for the same species. This doesn't apply to all fish but is a good indicator for otocinclus species. If the fish starve too long the theory is that the gut bacteria die off and your new fish has a much harder chance of surviving in your tank.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone. I hate to gravedig this thread, but I wanted to check up on a few things.

So, treatment against gram-negative bacteria. API MelaFix seems like it'd be decent for columnaris treatment, correct? It is tea tree oil-based (or some sort of tea leaf extract). I'd hate to lose another pleco to this crap. I've read up on columnaris, and it seems like MelaFix could do the job. What does the community think of this?
    Main Tank - 55g with four white cloud mountain minnows, five peppered cory catfish (occasionally treated with frozen bloodworms), and three ghost shrimp. HOB filter is a Top Fin 75, fully cycled. Air supply is a dual-output air pump, with the two lines connected with a T-valve into one airstone block. Not planted, but has five artificial decoration plants.

0 Not allowed!
    melafix is, as you know, a plant extract. I've heard mostly that it works best as a preventative and is too gentle to cure moderate or heavy infections.
    Especially with something virulent as columnaris, I would not hesitate to immediately "reach for the big guns"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    melafix is, as you know, a plant extract. I've heard mostly that it works best as a preventative and is too gentle to cure moderate or heavy infections.
    Especially with something virulent as columnaris, I would not hesitate to immediately "reach for the big guns"
    And by "big guns" you mean?