· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Lost one to slime

0 Not allowed!
    I figured I'd make a separate thread on this topic. Yesterday my 2.5" rubber lip died of this white slimy crap on the side of his body. When I first started with plecos I lost the first one (the rubber lip was my second) he had the same cloudy white slime on his body.

I'm starting to think I should quit it with plecos since the only two I've owned died already. There's got to be some way to treat this, right? Does API make some sort of treatment for this... this... stuff? I don't even know what it is yet, but it's killed my only two plecos in a matter of days.

Both of my previously-owned plecos were purchased from petsmart. Maybe that's what's the cause? The thing is, he didn't have the cloudy slime patch until Friday. How can this kill so quickly? How?!

I read somewhere that you can treat it with some kind of copper-based compound, commonly found in treatments for it. However I don't know what the thing is. Is it fungus? A bacteria? Virus? What?
    Main Tank - 55g with four white cloud mountain minnows, five peppered cory catfish (occasionally treated with frozen bloodworms), and three ghost shrimp. HOB filter is a Top Fin 75, fully cycled. Air supply is a dual-output air pump, with the two lines connected with a T-valve into one airstone block. Not planted, but has five artificial decoration plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Stay away from copper based meds when you deal with catfish such as plecos. You should also stay away from salt.

Did you happen to take a picture ofit? That might help is greatly.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    1. it is white and covers the body surface
    2. it kills really fast
    likely diagnosis is columnaris, a bacteria that looks like fungus. you don't need a copper compound to treat it. i am pretty sure that other antibiotics against gram negative bacteria will also work.
    it also is not exclusive to plecos. columnaris will affect anything. from what I've read, it is an opportunistic pathogen, meaning that it naturally occurs in tank and only attacks fish when those are weakened.
    the plecos were new and they tend not to be treated well in stores, so maybe that's why columnaris killed them.

0 Not allowed!
    Most likely hypothesis. If it's correct then using catappa or Indian almond tree leaf will do a lot. That's proven to be very effective against most gram negative bacteria. Problem is that riverine species like these do not take tannins all that well.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your pleco. I, too, have a problem with mine, which I am deeply saddened by. I missed eye cloud on one of my fish, but didn't affect it, and the next day, the bacteria had moved to our pleco. Within 1 day, the eye cloud had infected his 1 eye, and ruined it. I went and got antibiotics for the tank, and put them in, but by the next morning, both of his eyes were infected and eaten away. Poor guy. So I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your pleco. I have had 2 pleco's, the one before this one didn't survive. Hopefully you can find out whats killing them and remedy the problem. Good luck!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is there some way I could treat my next rubber lip before adding it to my 55gal? I read online that columnaris can be neutralized or destroyed by pouring a small amount of tap water (which of course has chlorine) and/or a few drops of vinegar in a small bowl, and let the pleco soak in the mixture for a couple of minutes.

Is this true? Is it proven to work properly?
    Main Tank - 55g with four white cloud mountain minnows, five peppered cory catfish (occasionally treated with frozen bloodworms), and three ghost shrimp. HOB filter is a Top Fin 75, fully cycled. Air supply is a dual-output air pump, with the two lines connected with a T-valve into one airstone block. Not planted, but has five artificial decoration plants.

2 Not allowed!
    Not sure where you got that but my gut feeling says it will neutralize the pleco with it as well.

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

1 Not allowed!
    If you want to protect your 55g, set up a QT tank. Doesn't have to be massive, a 10g is probably sufficient, and you can cycle it using media from your main tank filter. (or run a small filter along side on your main tank when there is nothing to QT)

One thing to note, especially with big box store plecos is you need to take a good look at their belly condition in the store. I've seen some practically starved specimens show up in their supply from time to time.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, Trillianne, I should look for healthy, fat bellies on plecos at the store? I did that with my otos, and six out of the seven I bought have survived, so yeah, for the most part it was successful.