· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How many ancistrus is sensible?

0 Not allowed!
    How many ancistrus can I sensibly have in a 40 gallon tank? I have two already but a friend has babies and wants homes for some. I feed pleco wafers now and again and can supplement with some vegetation if needs be. I was thinking of maybe having a couple more?

2 Not allowed!
    That depends on..
    1. what else is in there
    2. current nitrate levels
    but most importantly, decor and the fact if you can rehome the babies. These fish are territorial if not breeding so you need territorial boundaries and enough shelters. Also especially the common Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus is inclined to breed like rabbits. With 4 fish the chances of having males and females becomes very high.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Currently 4 mollies, 1 swordtail, 1 pearl gourami, 3 platys, 2 khuli loaches and 2 ancistrus. Décor - basic gravel, some plastic weed and a large rock, room to add more hidey holes though. Suspect my current ancistrus are a male and female as bristles on one and hardly any on the other, though the one I think is female is smaller and young still.

Off to look up the difference between the two species!

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    If you were going to do this, I would suggest only 1 additional. If you were trying to breed and get fry you could do 3f and 1m.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    1 male would be worked to death with 3 females

Sounds like it's a relatively bare tank... I wouldn't add it.

0 Not allowed!
    You don't mention driftwood, but that should definitely be in there, along with some sort of cave-like structures - I use bamboo tubes but there are plenty of options like PVC piping.

If you think you already have a male and female I wouldn't add another. You will have plenty of your own babies soon enough to try to get rid of.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you - I was thinking of adding a bit of wood in there anyway so you have helped me to decide on that! Thank you for the advice above

1 Not allowed!
    You could do 4 ancistrus. I've done so, successfully, but my tank is heavily planted with 3 large pieces of driftwood and plenty of hidey holes. If you have sand, they'll also dig themselves a hole on the side of the driftwood, so be sure that the driftwood you have is sturdy and seated appropriately, otherwise your pleco might create a cave-in and trap itself.

They are territorial and will squabble once in a while, but not often. Their squabbling is also usually harmless and they'll break away and go off on their own. I actually think this is akin to pack behavior, in that they're determining a hierarchy in a struggle for dominance. Hierarchies are often created in schools of fish, and this same behavior can be found among many catfish. I've noticed it among my Striped Raphael Catfish, as well. Once the order of dominance is determined, they live peacefully with each other. I've only seen one squabbling with my plecos and one squabbling with my raph cats and they've been fine ever since.

Add plenty of driftwood with caves, add some additional caves if you want and plenty of plants, and you'll be perfectly fine.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 05-08-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too sure about the pack thing. At least not on my species. Squabbles are too consistent for that and they display few other interactions

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I'm not too sure about the pack thing. At least not on my species. Squabbles are too consistent for that and they display few other interactions
    Maybe you just have a lot of stalemates. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.