· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default Aiden's German Blue Ram Community

1 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone. Since this tank is my first proper attempt at tropical fish (All of my experience is with ornamental shrimp) I thought it would be best to document it and hopefully get some advice and tips along the journey.

The Tank

The tank is a 15 gallon, 24 inch L x 12 inch D x 13 inch H

The substrate is Shirakura Red Bee Sand: This is an active substrate which keeps the water chemistry stable and at exact parameters

Filtration

Hagen Marina Slim s15: replaced the filter pads that come with it with 500g fluval biomax ceramic rings and pieces of sponge

Jad air driven sponge filter

Decor

Various easy to keep plants e.g java moss, riccia, moss balls
    Bogwood
    Coconut Cave
    Terracotta Tubes
    Indian Almond leaves

Water Chemistry

The water parameters are usually at these measurements:
    Ammonia:0.00
    Nitrite:0.00
    Nitrate:0.00
    PH:6.4
    TDS:130-140
    GH:6
    KH:0-1
    Temperature:23-24

Water Change Regime
    I like to do two 10% water changes per a week with R/O water which I remineralise and bring to temperature to match the tank parameters

Feeding Regime
    The main staple is a good quality flake food. I then supplement with bloodworm, tubiflex and crushed algae waffer

Tank Inhabitants
    A pair of German Blue Rams
    10 Harlequin Rasbora
    4 (adding 2 more) Threadfin Rainbowfish
    8 CBS/CRS
    MTS

Aim/ Goal

My main goal is to have the rams breed. I would also like to have the harlequins and rainbowfish breed too.

Pictures

Tank

CAM00140.jpg

Mr Ram and a Shrimp

CAM00155.jpg

Mrs Ram

CAM00157.jpg

Some of the Harlequin

CAM00161.jpg

One of the Threadfins

CAM00144.jpg
    Last edited by Aiden123; 02-02-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice looking tank and healthy GBR, Harleys and threadfins Aiden.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. Like i said my hobby experience is from ornamental shrimp but I'm completely new to fish. So i'm relatively confident it maintaining stable water parameters but everything else will likely be new to me :D
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a way to tell if a male and female ram have bonded before they spawn for the first time?

0 Not allowed!
    That is an awesome tank and some vibrant fish.
    I really wonder though whether the rams affect the shrimp population?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hopefully they won't. All the shrimp are fully grown at 1inch + and they don't act nervous around the rams. I was worried that during moults whether there would be problems then but so far I have seen two moults and the rams still are not interested. There is a lot of hiding places for the shrimp so fingers crossed there is no issue.

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice. Harlies are a species that really show off their colors when kept in proper parameters, nice job. There isn't a 100% guarantee before a spawn but, if they are hanging out closely together and doing a bit of light sparring it's probable.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I wasn't too keen on them in the shop as they were quite pale but after a quick search on my phone I seen pictures of what they normally look like. As soon as they were in my tank they quickly coloured up and I am very happy I chose them. They are very bold but subtle enough not to distract too much attention away from the rams.

It was the same with the threadfins, at first they appeared to be quite a boring silver colour but again when they got in my tank they truely coloured up. Pictures do not do it justice, they throw out orange, blue, purple and green flashes of colour, especially when displaying to each other.

The rams swim and graze together a lot. Not seen any light sparring but fingers crossed they bond.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank looks realy nice and you have a good blend of fish, you can never go wrong when it comes to Harlequins
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are truely a beautiful fish. I was expecting them to school a lot more though, they are often in little group of 2 or 3, and even swim on their own. Would this be because they feel safe and happy? as I assume schooling is a defence strategy?