· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fish bleeding out of gills - urgent

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone have experience with a fish suddenly bleeding out of its gills?

More specifically,
    - what causes it
    - what can I do now that it has happened?

A little bit of a back story: the fish is a male laetacara dorsigera. I bought it a few months back from very questionable conditions. It initially seemed to do well, but always appeared to have random, inexplicable "off periods" where it would pale, clamp its fins and sit at the bottom, after a few days it would rebound and behave normal until the next time. 2 weeks ago it developed a(again inexplicable) lesion or wound on its head, which did not heal. As its head pores also were enlarging I decided to treat with metronidazole and seachem paraguard against hexamita. It responded very well for a few days and then all of a sudden went pale, sat on the bottom, clamped fins and refused food. Today I decided that the qt tank is no longer doing any good, so after a short chase I caught the fish and was about to return it to its original tank when (in the bucket) a huge cloud of thick blood just suddenly spurted out of its left operculum. The bleeding seemed to stop after ~5 seconds and the fish now appears unusually lethargic for being in a acclimation bucket.

Is this fish a goner or what? Any suggestions greatly welcome.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    what are the water parameters in the tank?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    It is not necessarily a goner but the odds are not good. What are your water parameters?
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, I haven't checked, but it is cycled for sure and I recently(yesterday) changed the water, so I doubt that is it. There also are zygatus corydoras, a honey gourami and the cichlid's mate in there and those are vibrant and active.
    Just mentioning that this isn't my first round fishkeeping, but I will go check parameters right now.

0 Not allowed!
    We know it is not your "first lap around the block" but water parameters is allways the first suspected culprit when dealing with gill problems.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I think ammonia poisoning at first when it comes to bleeding gills. I could be wrong though. Like is there a small cave in the tank that gets no water circulation that it hangs out in?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks William, I understand. Just a bit frenetic right now, so I apologize if I sounded stuck up.
    Water is 0/0/10, pH 7.8-8. the tank(10 gal) has an AC20 as well as an 80 gal/h powerhead and the decorations are plastic plants, so i dont think circulation is an issue.
    however, a new thought came to me. with the heavy feedings to cories in a small water volume, periodic ammonia spikes could be a possibility that would be unaffected by frequent water changes.
    however, the bleeding only appeared after the capture. could stress and physical exertion cause gill bleeding?
    Last edited by madagascariensis; 02-02-2014 at 02:08 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    You didnt sound stuck up. I just feared that we sounded condescending

Periodic ammonia spikes is a possibility and they could burn the gills. Another possibility would be a pH spike. pH 7.8-8 is high for L. dorsiger and if it were to go a little higher it could cause a problem. Especially if it is weakened by something else. The dorsiger would prefer slightly acidic water.

0 Not allowed!
    The water in the tank it normally lives in is indeed softer and has a lower pH of 6.8-7(planted tank with CO2), but I do not have an accurate way of replicating this in the qt.
    Oh well, it now is back in its tank with lights out. let's see whether it will be on its belly or on its side tomorrow. I wish I had another option than subjecting a weakened fish to such a pH change, but it is probably better
    than remaining in the qt.

0 Not allowed!
    For anyone interested, here's an update.

It's been a day and a half since I moved it, and so far the dorsigera has regained its color, un-clamped its fins and is moving around. No signs of his previous bleeding.
    Some fish just don't make sense.