· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now that is awesome.!!
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    These videos are so neat....how often do you feed them this way?...is baby octopus all they ever get to eat?
    These guys are the easiest marine critters anyone can keep (in my opinion, lol) They eat Pacific white shrimp, squid rings (calamari) and baby Octopus. I buy all of it at grocery stores, whenever on special and I keep in the deep freezer.
    They eat every 4 or 5 days. Even then some won't eat by choice.
    They have distinct personalities, none will bite me now, they probably would have at 1st. The big green one got me good when I first put him in the mix, my fault though. I was moving rock without really looking and he hit my finger, interesting circular puncture, lol.
    I say easiest as they are bullet proof. Immune to common issues like ich, velvet and so many other maladies. You can easily house fish with them as long as you maintain the feeding, I believe they are lazy buggers and won't hunt when full. BTW, I estimate my cost at about $5 dollars a week for all of them, including the white ribbon.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info, very interesting...what did each individual cost to buy, if I may ask?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Thanks for the info, very interesting...what did each individual cost to buy, if I may ask?
    It varies eel to eel. The snowflake I got was tiny and I believe was around $21. They were all pretty small when I got them though. The most expensive was my black edge (big green one) at $75. The ocellated (one with snout) was $65 or so. Zebras range but not more than $50 or so. These guys are all captive breed. I try not to get anything wild caught. The ribbon was $60 or so but I'm working with my memory that's not all so great and it's been a couple of years. I am more confident having and properly keeping morays now so plan on the big jump to a Dragon Moray $750 to $1,000 dollars when I upgrade to a 300 Gallon around Christmas.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391449212.904852.jpg
    Photo from bing

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, not too expensive at all...except for that Dragon!...what a beautiful creature, he's worth it!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Amazing. just amazing. They are intriguing and interesting and so predatory. Do you ever have nightmares of them slithering out of the tank and coming looking for you? :o)

Thanks for sharing. I had questions but everyone already asked and you answered.
    Can't wait to see that 300 gal :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for sharing such an awesome vid. I was looking forward to this, since you mentioned it last week. You've definitely piqued my interest in getting a marine tank... If ever I go that route, I'm definitely getting a couple of eels. They're so interesting to watch/feed.

Love the activity of that ribbon eel.

I had questions, too, but most were answered. The only other question I had, was how their behavior was toward each other on a usual day? Do they ever get aggressive with each other? That ribbon is so small in comparison, but competes for the food... I'm amazed that he hasn't been walloped yet. lol
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Do they ever get aggressive with each other? That ribbon is so small in comparison, but competes for the food... I'm amazed that he hasn't been walloped yet. lol
    Good question! I completely forgot to mention. They are generally totally indifferent to each other. Morays are not known to eat their young or other Morays. To be honest, I am unaware of anything (maybe sharks) that will eat them. That said, The two smaller Zebras do tend to hang out together, even to the point of entwining each other and often hanging out of the same slots. The same goes for the Ribbon & Snowflake, often occupying the same opening. It's pretty random most of the time who's hanging out with who. I've seen the Ribbon literally trying to take food out of the other eels mouths. Too funny really as all of a sudden he's flying across the tank trying to hang on. They have NEVER fought, nipped at each other or any of my fish. I rehoused all the fish from the 75 (Lion, Midnight Angel, assorted wrasse and Clowns. I even took out a nem and put in my reef. I've had the exact amount of Damsels I introduced as replacement for the ones sold. I am currently trying to acquire a blue or black ribbon for my reef. Once fully grown it too will go into the big tank.

1 Not allowed!
    All of this info is completely surprising to me. I would have expected them to be much more difficult to keep than fish, with a variety of absurd needs, in addition to being very highly aggressive toward most other fish or eels. I'm very happy to hear that my expectations have been proven incorrect. This has turned out to be an enlightening thread.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 02-03-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow you make me want more eels! Thats an awesome video. Is your rock stacked or atrached together?
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast