· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Can You ID these Catfish? (Warning HUGE Pics)

0 Not allowed!
    Hey,

I bought these at Meijer. They were sold as Sterbas corys. I don't think they are Sterbas corys. Can anyone ID them?

DSC01856.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01848.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

DSC01853.jpg

Default Can You ID these Catfish? (Warning HUGE Pics)

0 Not allowed!
    Type of synodonis... Not sure exactly which.

Edit : could be a feathfin syno

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, as far as size. That is the lid to my API test kit they are in (for the minute it took to get pics of them). So about 1.5 inches long. There is a third, the same as the darker of the two, that is twice the size (about 3 inches long).

I thought they were all the same color (and size) when I put them in the tank, but now one looks lighter. But see, the spots are more like rings and I can't find any pic close to the coloration that says it is a Cory. King Tiger Plecos have similar coloration, but the shape is wrong. I have looked on planet catfish.

They really don't like light, almost never come out of their hideyhole. If they do come out, and see me, they disappear back into the dark. I have been leaving bottom feeder sinking food as close to their hideout as I can. Sometimes I walk by and one is out eating it. Mostly I can just see the tips of their tails wag as they scavenge in their home.

3 Not allowed!
    99% sure it's a "upside down catfish". Look up feather fin synodonis. Look just like them. As for the different color (light vs dark) that could just be stress

My thought is they are just young

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I think triton is right - here is another pic of an upside down catfish looks fairly close -

http://top-10-list.org/wp-content/up...wn-Catfish.jpg (linking for copyright)
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Huh, I was looking in the cory pages. Could possibly be Synodontis Comoensis juvenile? Rare, but the bigger of the three has turned half black. It's part of the reason I am trying to figure out what they are.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The pictures are bad on my end, but they aren't spotted on the front half, the dark rings are all across the body. And the one that is bigger is getting darker, the front half of her is almost black. (I am just calling it a her)

This is the link to the Synodontis Comoensis.
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=421

The link to Synodontis Eupterus (featherfin).
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=121

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's not to say, the two in the pics might be 2 different types of fish. Also, probably more accurate to let them grow up before trying to nail down exactly which ones they are. But at least I will stop calling them Corys, because I agree, they look more like the Synodontis. so in a month or two, if they start showing spots, I'll know what they are. (I feel like I am Cruella Deville.... Spots! Spots! They're supposed to have Spots! lol)

OH! And Now I know they are going to get much bigger. :)
    Last edited by kit000003; 02-01-2014 at 05:47 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I went and looked at upside down catfish at the LFS. The ones that were the same size as mine looked nothing like my fish.

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    One thing is certain...those aren't Sterbai
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal