· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default how high do you fill your aquarium?

0 Not allowed!
    i usually keep mine about an inch maybe 2 from the black rim. I am working on relieving any stress by making the water calmer. i have also thought my tank has been in a constant state of fog but in reading it seems more like small bubbles, millions of them.

i went to the LFS today and asked about a tank they had some rams in on display. clear very very calm water. He said they always fill the tank up to the black rim. So I've been goggling with no solid answers. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet so I figured I would ask and see what the general consensus is.

0 Not allowed!
    Right to the rim on my 3 regular tanks...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

1 Not allowed!
    I fill mine to about 4-5 inches from the rim, but that has a purpose. the tank has a cork back on which emergent java ferns grow rampantly.
    Do I understand correctly that your issue is to get the least surface agitation possible? you will want to try either raising the water level or lowering the filter output.
    alternatively, if the bubbles are particularly fine, it may not be the fault of the splashing outflow but air somehow getting sucked into the filter and coming out as fine bubbles due to the
    impellor breaking up large bubbles.

0 Not allowed!
    Speaking about fine bubbles, I don't know if this can apply to fresh but in salt it can cause problems in the fish that can kill them. The micro bubbles can lodge behind the eyes causing bulge etc. I was warned of this by the owner of a long standing SW specialty shop...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    i fill mine about a 2 centimeters (almost an inch) from the filter "waterfall", that helps if you have a hob filter.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    I fill mine up to the point the aqua clear is flowing level with the top and doesn't create bubbles. I get some with the water level dropping.

But I'd fill it above the plastic trim

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I keep both 55's and the 20 filled right to the bottom of the black trim too. I have a system with Primed water ready to go at any time, when the water gets down about an inch I flip the switch and filler up. In my opinion if there are so many fine bubbles that it looks like fog, something needs adjusting. Believe it or not the HOB makes alot. I have a canister and an aqueon bio on each tank. The canister outputs never make bubbles, a little splashing sometimes. But, no matter the water level, I always get some fine bubbles from the HOB, but only in the immediate area. Never would I describe it as fog.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I filled mine up to the rim about half an hour ago and turned down the bubble wands as low as they'll go along with the both filters. HUGE difference already. it seems a ton clearer and my gourami are floating around all over without being blown across the tank like leaves.

with the water to the rim do fish ever jump into the filter?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For its medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

1 Not allowed!
    As full as I can get it.
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.