· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Occupation of the ground floor

0 Not allowed!
    I have a group of kuhli loaches (I think 8) on the ground floor of my aquarium. Cherry shrimp and pygmy corydoras (currently 5 - going to get another 2 when I can) are also spending a fair amount of time down there ...

Would it become too crowded if I invite a group of panda corydoras (perhaps 6?) to stay with us? My friend has just bred a batch, they are the tiniest most adorable little fish - but of course they will grow! And they need a group...

Tank layout is like this. Substrate is now smooth pebbles at the front & black sand at the back (and obviously the white sand river). Hoping to grow a controlled jungle but plenty of swimming space remains.

... or would be too much ground floor occupation?

I am heading closer and closer to MTS!
    50g planted: 8x guppy/endler hybrids, 8x black neons, 8x kuhli loaches, 3x otos, 4x pygmy corys, 4x panda corys, 4x neons, Assassin snails + cherry & Amano shrimp

1 Not allowed!
    Think this calls for another tank. With your layout I think you'd be over crowded on the bottom
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    That is a gorgeous tank....

but I am not sure on the crowdyness of the bottom of the tank. But you do have a few bottom dwelling species already. Maybe it is time for the MTS to kick in sooner as they grow just a bit....
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    If I had the house space, I would have another tank already!

As it is, I am considering a nano tank, perhaps 30L, on my desk. With pretty plants and a betta and some shrimp and ...

Then I'll need another tank, ideally a shallow one with tons of surface area, full of corys and kuhlis and more corys ... I just love all those bottom dwellers.

I should say, the bottom of the tank, under the driftwood is all accessible - none of the driftwood is solidly on the floor, so there are tons of wooden "caves". The kuhlis love it ...

I might have to sit on my hands, *sad*.
    50g planted: 8x guppy/endler hybrids, 8x black neons, 8x kuhli loaches, 3x otos, 4x pygmy corys, 4x panda corys, 4x neons, Assassin snails + cherry & Amano shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Here's one of the pygmy corys.
    It follows this endler hybrid around permanently. The other 4 pygmy corys hang out together low to mid-level, but this guy is always at the top, following this one same male endler ... Weird ...

0 Not allowed!
    yea, that's the only thing I don't like about the pygmy's... my habroseus stay on the bottom, the pygmys are always swimming up high
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

1 Not allowed!
    I frankly dont think cories mind crowding much if at all, if you can keep up water quality. they are a very social species after all and from my experience with them, it seems they
    would prefer more buddies over more space most times(avoiding extremes of course). as an example: I once had 6 pandas in a 20 gallon. now i currently have 12 zygatus in a 10 gal qt.
    of course, I dont know what the fish are thinking, but from their behavior I can safely infer that the 12 zygatus are much more content than the 6 pandas. of course, the 12 zygatus would also be even happier with a 20 gallon, but that is not the point.
    as long as you can keep water quality up, you could(and I certainly would) keep oodles and oodles of cories in there.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sure sounds like all the bottom dwellers "get along" now... if your nitrates tell you to get another tank...well....maybe you should get a small one? How the heck do you keep your substrate so neat...no matter how hard I try...when I vacuum it all seems to meld together...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    It sure sounds like all the bottom dwellers "get along" now... if your nitrates tell you to get another tank...well....maybe you should get a small one? How the heck do you keep your substrate so neat...no matter how hard I try...when I vacuum it all seems to meld together...
    Nitrates are not a problem in this tank, so I was more concerned about actual physical space, but it sounds like this might be possible after all . I will sleep on it for a few weeks. No rush to get THESE specific baby corys, they just attracted my attention.

Substrate not a huge problem. The white sand gets chucked about a fair amount, but the boundary is fairly short so I can manually scoop it back where it should be. When I had only black sand it was more complex but with the black pebbles it's easy now as they are so heavy :)

0 Not allowed!
    Well I decided it was now or never as I don't want to keep messing about with the tank -- as I keep horses and a large garden as well, as the nights gets shorter I will have less and less indoor time for the tank, so I need things to be running smoothly for spring and summer ... and that means stability beforehand!

Soooo 5 baby panda corys joined the gang a couple days ago. I am SO glad I decided to get them. I was concerned about crowding the ground floor as you know, but figured I can always sell them if it doesn't work, but omg within 24 hours the whole dynamic of the tank changed. The Otos seem to love them (normal? I saw 6 Otos yesterday - I thought I only had about 4 survivors!) and the pygmy corys have also become more bold. They get on great with the kuhlis and shrimp and I suddenly have a buzzing ground floor that doesn't look crowded at all. I think because all those species also climb about in the driftwood and java fern there is a lot "surface area" for them all. But they are all eating well and I am amazed by how much bolder all my little shy guys have turned. Panda cory enthusiasm is clearly infectious.

So that's it for my tank - stocking complete. Long may it last, happy healthy life to everyone! Oldest tank inhabitants are only about 2.5 years (neon tetras), so we are now at equilibrium. AqAdvisor says I am 93% stocked with the new additions so that leaves some guppy fry space.

(I am also massively overfiltered and heavily planted so probably have a fair bit of leeway).

LOVELOVELOVE the pandas!