· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Pulling out my hair - algae

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a 20 gallon tank cycling with plenty of plants.

hair algae is starting to build up on leaves and the glass - Probably because of my nitrates right? I havnt added anything other than excel, I have a heap of plants.

what do I do to stop it without messing with the cycle? I've been dosing excel, which cleared the black brush algae but now the hair is taking off, do I need to up my dose of excel to kill hair algae? Do I need to reduce the lighting even more?

I'm feeling inclined to do a water change and switch to cycling with guppies :|

0 Not allowed!
    In a planted tank green algae are often due to a lack of phosphates. Any idea of what green algae exactly? Picture maybe.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ahh I see, I havnt dosed any Flourish in the tank yet because I thought that would be the precursor to algae problems, I cbf checking at this hour of the night but I'm sure Flourish has phosphates, reckon I should dose flourish? I probably do have enough plants to soak it all up.

I dont understand how a lack of phosphates can cause algae, I though an over abundance of nutrients was the cause, not a lack of. Any links would be cool.

I'll try get some decent pics in the morning

0 Not allowed!
    The #1 misconception in the hobby about planted tanks with algae is that over dosing is the problem. This is 100% NOT true, excess nutrients with the exception of ammonia and iron do not cause algae outbreaks. Nutrient deficiency, low CO2, and high lighting on the other hand do cause algae issues. Your tank is new, some algae in the beginning is expected. However do not allow it to get out of hand...remove effected leaves, clean the glass, do a 50% WC, and do some spot treating with either Excel or H2O2.

Also do some research on the effectiveness of EI dosing...you would not believe the difference it can make.

Also what is your lighting? Filtration/Circulation? Photo-period? These are crucial bits of info in helping you get rid of the algae.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't do a water change yet because im still cycling.

My light is a "WB40 10000K", is the wb refering to the white colour and 40 being the watts or something?, circulation comes from a Aquaclear 50 on one side on the tank. the tank is 120cm long or 4ft so it doesnt quite reach the other side - this doesnt seem to effect the algae as its growing everywhere on the glass. Lights are on from 8am to 8pm, 12 hours on a timer.

0 Not allowed!
    10,000K lighting can certainly help with algae growth as it is starting to get into the more bluer color tones which FW algae just loves. For now, I would suggest cutting back the lighting to 6 hours. When it is time to replace the bulb, use a bulb with a 5,000 to 7,000K color temp.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the responses, will try to remember that for next time. my 30 gal tank has a bit of an algae issue aswell, should I cut down the lighting to 6 hour too? the tanks are running off the same timer as it is.

0 Not allowed!
    You can try.

Algae appear when the plants cannot out compete them. That can be due to a nutrient imbalance or the wrong spectrum of lighting. For healthy freshwater plants you'd be looking at about 10ppm nitrate, 1ppm phosphate (redfield ratio!) some potassium and every 3-4 days a dash of trace elements. Lighting between 4000 and 8000k for example on for 2 periods of 4-5 hours with a 100 minute break

0 Not allowed!
    Ive never honestly had an issue with using 10K lighting on planted tanks. My 50G acrylic is running with only 10Ks as I prefer the spectrum and havent any algae anywhere. Hair algae's main cause is nutrient deficiency in the tank along with poor circulation. Planted tanks honestly need much more water movement than you would think. I would add another AC50 and see what that does. Watch the tank and see where any dead spots may be lurking. A powerhead may also be necessary. There is also no need to run more than 6-7 hours of lighting on a planted tank...that is enough to ensure good plant growth but not enough to promote excess algae.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed that my big tank had a lot of algae while cycling...things are off balance during that time, and algae likes things off-balance. For now, don't worry about it except to maybe up your circulation. Once the cycle is complete, scrub it out, introduce your fish, and see what happens. Do you use a liquid fert for the plants? Once you're up and running using that should help the plants and maybe keep algae in check. Also, consider some nerite snails. They eat my algae problems before I start to fret.

ITA with MCHR - 10K lighting has been just fine for me. I think it's really not a problem as long as you keep up with the tank. Once your tank is settled, I think you'll be fine.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.