· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Question treating tail rot

0 Not allowed!
    So I was home for lunch today. I decided to do a decent water change as I haven't had a chance to since Saturday I believe, so I changed out about 30% or so on the 37. But as I was getting everything back in order I noticed one of the males was looking a little more box shaped than normal and had bit of rot going on his tail fin.

I know this can be caused by a number of issues such as poor water conditions, and other internal parasites as well. I will check the parameters when I get home tonight, but what was wondering what the best medication for it is? I think I have seen PraziPro in some other threads. But I am not sure where I can actually get it. My local shop doesn't have any, I will be able to make it to the city on Saturday maybe so I can check there. In the mean time I can keep doing daily water changes.

I wasn't able to snap a picture of the fish over lunch as I was already running late getting back to work. The darn drawstring on my bio bag which I had tucked away somehow got lose and wrapped itself around the propeller of my filter intake so it took me a bit to get that fixed so at least got the filter going after the WC before coming back to work.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure about meds, but really clean water will promote healing and regrowth.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    yea I usually do that water change every 3 days roughly. I notice it the gravel was a little dirtier than usual not sure if anyone else has been feeding the fish or something. But I will do some daily changes for awhile. I also pulled off that filter material off the intake it was getting fairly dark after only 5 days. I may have to give all the decor a good scrubbing in some tank water as well. I have had a population boom over the past few weeks as well in both molly fry and pond snails so I am sure that isn't helping matters.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

0 Not allowed!
    Up the frequency your water changes. Very stubborn cases may need antibiotics but hopefully not.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    should I keep the 30% changes daily or higher amounts? - 30% is roughly 2 full 5 gallon buckets worth of water for my tank. Does using a bit extra stress coat help in situations like this for rebuilding the slime coat?
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    If you're already using Prime, I wouldn't switch to Stress Coat. Whatever it takes to keep nitrates low.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    no I use Stress Coat currently as that is what my LFS stocked - I plan on switching to Prime once I use all my current stocks though.
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    Stress Coat is fine as long as you don't over use it.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

3 Not allowed!
    Change the amount of water needed to keep your nitrates as low as possible. If they are 20 ppm, change at least 50%. Or if possible, change 75% to get them to 5 ppm.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I will get some readings here in a bit but I did snap a pic of it before getting supper ready. So incoming fuzzy pic!

2014-01-30 18.15.36.jpg

I checked wally world in the event I need some parasite meds - they don't carry the Prazi Pro. But they do carry API's Melafix in 8oz bottles. From what I read on that it is a 7 days treatment. If the water changes don't do anything positive for it.
    Current tanks: