· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Strange spawning patterns

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!

I have Corydora catfish in my 35g tank. Around 12.
    Since I live in Canada it's become quite cold, and unfortunately my heater at times, cannot keep up with how chilly it can get at night in my room.
    My Cory's have been spawning a lot and laying eggs. Not constantly but consistent enough through out the passed 2 months for me to wonder why.
    Why now? From what I have read (and please someone correct me) Cory's don't spawn and lay eggs until June-Aug/Early Sept?? I have also read that when the temperature in your tank drops not below, but just almost, Cory's think it's raining, and that makes them spawn. (Remember I only read this, lol.)

A little about my tank:
    I have one male and one female adult that have been there from the start. They made around 10 babies together and I bought two outsiders. The catfish who aren't "in-the-family" I am not sure, but I think one is female, and one is male. As for the little guys, (who aren't so little anymore) I haven't examined them quite enough as I probably should be.

To be honest this all might be normal, but I trust most of you know what these fishies patterns are more than I. It's coming up 2 years that I have had them, but they have only successfully breeded once.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there. For starters, what wattage heater are you running?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He he. I meant my room's heater, not my tanks heater. My tank doesn't run on a heater, yet at least. Never has. I used to have a goldfish and the catfish adapted to anything below 75. It usually is around 74 78 in my tank durring the day, but at night it can drop down to 72.

I have always been a bit nervous about heaters in the tank. :s

2 Not allowed!
    Uh cories cannot thrive, especially not breed in 72. That is way way too cold. The tank temperature should also not fluctuate. You should get a heater for your tank immediately. Cories are not cold water fish.

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus 
    right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 
    Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Jeff's advice, you need a heater, pronto....not sure what wattage is appropriate for a 35g...but be sure to read the directions, you'll want to immerse the heater a half hour or so before turning it on
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As I said, the two adults (bronze coreys) have been alive for two years, no issues. They were used to living with a goldfish. All of the babies in the tank have grown to almost about the same size as the adults and have been alive since June of 2013. I'm pretty sure they're fine, and are healthy since they keep spawning and none have died. I Woke up this morning and there's around 100+ eggs on my plants and glass. The last time they did that was shorter than a month ago. It normally doesn't fluctuate that drastically, but I have noticed from time to time the temp is at 72 but only at night.

My original question was do they spawn all year around, or is there a specific time of the season.
    Is their random spawning because of the temp in the tank.
    If I add a heater, and they are used to their regular temp would it not cause issues for them??

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus 
    right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 
    Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    According to this, bronze corys do best at about 24C (75.2F)....http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...?species_id=51
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    According to this, bronze corys do best at about 24C (75.2F)....http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...?species_id=51
    That's normally what my tank is at. :) Little higher during the day.
    I'm still stuck on the fact if they are breeding because another female is now ready, or what! >,<

Thanks for the link! I'm gonna read it.

2 Not allowed!
    You still do not want the tank's temperature to fluctuate, especially a change of 6 degrees in a few hours time.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

2 Not allowed!
    + 1 to the above advice. A heater is not only used to heat a tank, but in tanks where the temp fluctuates, also to keep the temp stable.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"