· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Betta not swimming, hanging at the top of tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a betta in a 29 gallon community tank, he has been in it for a year and gets on fine with my other fish and up to now has been fine and healthy, but over the last few weeks ive noticed he seems to be resting on his leaf hammock in in my plants more and more, and now it is at the point where he isnt swimming around at all, hes just sitting in my plants at the surface, gulping air every now and again.

I should not I have lost fish recently, I lost 2 pentazona barbs, 1 black phantom, and 2 white cloud minnows. They didnt really have symptoms, they just sort of stop swimming as much then died.

I took my water to be tested and all was good, no ammonia or nitrite and very low nitrate. Is it possible this could be a parasite infecting fish one by one? If not what could be the problem?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How is your fish now serbus? Any better, or did he end up passing? I meant to post a reply on here for a while, but for some reason it kept deleting...stupid keyboard. My big recommendation is water changes. I always do more than usual if somebody looks under the weather, even if my params are good. Do you have a tank to put the betta in by himself? He might be a bit stressed with that stocking...aggression/stress can just come out of nowhere, even if the tank has previously been fine.

I hope he's OK.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes he is fine now, I had an Apistogramma C. in the tank and it turns out it was nipping his fins so I return it (promptly!). He still sits around occasionally but I think that's just because he's a bit lazy :)

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is so nice to here your Betta is doing better i love Betta fish. i just returned my albino African clawed frog because it ate my Betta whole. it also ate 8 other fish a my pleco died( it was 6inches long) and i went to take it out of the tank and the frog was eating it.So we put him in solitary confinement with 8 charges of murder and 1 account of cannibalism, nut hes happy now. I'm happy you got ride of the thing that was causing the problems i wish i had figured out sooner that it was the frog eating my fish.:(

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe try some super heavy aquascape to spread out the aggression