· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He's survived the past 60 hours now, very resilient. His stomach bloating hasn't gone down yet and is slightly worse. It's always bad when you net a fish and they don't try to get away. I'm surprised he's lasted this long.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you doing daily large water changes and redosing the prazi and metro if appropriate?
    any luck finding out of the epsom salts can be used with the other meds? I know it's often successful to relieve bloating. As bad as things sound and since the bloating is getting worse, I think I'd try a very large water change (if it turns out the meds and epsom salts cant be used together) and trying the epsoms salts.

Another thought? Any chance he's constipated? Laying off food would probably be a good idea now BUT you might try feeding him a frozen pea that you've thawed and skinned. It can often dislodge constipation if that could be an issue
    Of course, if he's not eating, you won't be able to get it down him. Dipping it in garlic oil could help.

Again, shooting in the dark but hoping something will work.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes but honestly the internal damage is probably too great for him to recover. Even if he miraculously did, his lifespan would likely be significantly shortened after this. I'll have to pick up some clove oil.

My wife wants me to tear down the 120, but I really like keeping large cichlids.

I like your idea of dosing prazi preventatively a couple times a year.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by openbook View Post
    Yes but honestly the internal damage is probably too great for him to recover. Even if he miraculously did, his lifespan would likely be significantly shortened after this. I'll have to pick up some clove oil.

My wife wants me to tear down the 120, but I really like keeping large cichlids.
    I like your idea of dosing prazi preventatively a couple times a year.
    I can't remember. Is he eating or not? And were the others eating before they died?
    If they're not eating, they may have been infested with a type of protozoan that can be killed by high heat.
    I have an angel that stopped eating last May. Learned from an angel and cichlid expert that many cichlids are susceptible to this particular protozan that infests their intestines. He advised me to keep the angel in qt at 98F for at least ten days and to feed flakes medicated with metro+. This fish hadn't eaten for 2 weeks before I QT'd her. I ended up keeping her in the qt at that heat for 4 weeks before she finally started eating again. The protozan was finally dead, and she's alive and by all counts healthy today - this after going 6 weeks without injesting any food.

Again - it's a shot in the dark but if this fish keeps going down hill and is not eating, I think I'd give the heat a try. I changed it's water every day, removed any uneaten food every day and started over again the next. It was grueling for the fish and for me but it worked. No idea if this is your situation but it may be worth a try if you aren't seeing any improvement and want to avoid using the cloves to put it down.
    again, good luck.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 01-31-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I rarely saw him eat, he was shy. Nicky was still eating and then flopped over the next day. The disease kills rapidly when they get sick. The only clue I can see beforehand is a change in behavior. They became less active. I noticed more hiding out than before. In Jacks case he always hid out so nothing was out of the ordinary. By the time I noticed the white poo, he was done. I was hopeful I could treat with meds but that was not the case, the parasite won.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so sorry. I have large cichlids (including an EBJD) in my 90. When you grow them up from babies and watch them develop and mature into such beautiful fish, it's heartbreaking when you lose them. I know it goes with the territory because there are so many variables and so many things that can go wrong even when you do everything right, and I think that's what makes it even more difficult to lose them.

Anyway, it seems pretty clear that it was nothing you did. Unless thinking back, did you do anything different in that tank lately? Introduce new fish, new plants new anything? Different water conditioner? Food? If I lost fish like this, in some way I'd feel a little less helpless (not feel better) if I had made a change that could have made them sick - at least that way I'd know the answer and know to avoid it.
    Out of curiosity, did you check your water parameters for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates every once in a while? Could nitrates have played a part? How often did you do water changes and how much did you change out? Answers to these questions might give us a clue to what went wrong for all of the fish to die within such a short time span after keeping them all these years.
    again so sorry
    Last edited by fishmommie; 01-31-2014 at 02:43 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No changes, no new fish. Water changes frequently weekly, infrequently bi weekly. Python system made large changes easy. Nitrates might creep up there from time to time, nothing terrible. Filter media ancient, washed in tank water only. I only fed new life spectrum food. Followed all protocol for keeping a healthy tank.

First fish lost 6-8 months ago. I probably should've treated the tank with prazi pro then.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you kept a great tank! This will probably remain one of those unexplained situations. It does make you wonder if something altered in your municipal water supply though, that might have affected them, especially since you had them for so long. Another thought -- any chance you used a different bucket that might have once had an unknown chemical (cleaning fluid comes to mind) in it and there was some toxic residue still in the bucket when you rinsed the filter media? Someone else in the house use your fish bucket for something and not mention it, not thinking there could be some residue that could damage the fish?

I won't belabor this any more but it would be so good if you could come up with a reason because it's so upsetting to think, again, that you did everything right, and yet something killed them.
    again, too bad.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 01-31-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you did everything right. Sometimes there is no explanation.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast