· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default hmm a change in my nitrate reading

0 Not allowed!
    my tank has been reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5.0 nitrate for about 2 weeks now maybe 3 i am losing track of my days.. tonight when i tested it's reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. i thought the tank would always register some? what in the world is going on... I'm almost afraid to research it...

0 Not allowed!
    I take it you are cycling your tank because of the threads' location. Am I correct in assuming this? If so, How much ammo are you dosing and how often? What size tank is it? This is a fishless cycle, yes?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Firstly, I would consider doing a second test and be sure youre testing correctly. Havnt done any water changes in that time?

FW or SW tanks? plant or no plants? I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions as I'm not entirely sure why that would be happening.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well my tank has been cycled for about 2 weeks.. but i believed it to be cycled before and found out it wasnt... so i thought this might be the best place? i have been treating my tank for a fungus for 5 days now and have read here and there it can mess up you BB when you use meds? can a cycled tank read 0 nitrates?

it is planted. i did a 30% wc yesterday before giving my tank a 2nd dose of fungus meds. ive had my tank for about 6 or 7 weeks now.. i ended up cycling with fish because i was using test strips instead of the api liquid kit i use now... and honestly although i was reading a ton about it i really had no clue what i was doing..

for around 2 weeks i've had great readings. no ammonia or nitrites and a steady 5.0 nitrate reading. suddenly tonight its gone.. and I'm a little worried about my cycle

0 Not allowed!
    Some meds will say on the bottle or package that the biological filter might be affected with treatment - that means you could get a 0 reading for nitrates if you are testing properly.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

2 Not allowed!
    nitrate testing can be tricky if not done right: always shake bottle one and add 10 drops to your vial. Then shake bottle 2 for 30 full seconds. Add 10 drops. Cap and shake for 60 seconds then wait 5 minutes for a reading.
    You should take this reading before you do a water change not after.
    Also, as long as you are showing 0 ammonia and nitrites, I wouldn't worry about having lost your cycle. You have plants, you've been treating for fungus and you're not heavily stocked. A 0 nitrate reading is not unheard of.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2 Not allowed!
    And....shaking vigorously means exactly that. You want to shake it like your life depends on it. When you think you are done shaking it, shake it some more- heck, shake it like a Polaroid picture.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I take one before I do the change and every night in between. it doesn't say anything about messing up my biological filter on the package but i did add 6 stems of ancharis (sp?) on saturday. the reading is still the same. If i triggered a mini cycle would something else be showing up like ammonia?

LOL! i will shake it more and see if that helps.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    I take one before I do the change and every night in between. it doesn't say anything about messing up my biological filter on the package but i did add 6 stems of ancharis (sp?) on saturday. the reading is still the same. If i triggered a mini cycle would something else be showing up like ammonia?

LOL! i will shake it more and see if that helps.
    As long as you have 0 ammonia and nitrites, you have not lost your cycle. and adding plants will make no difference in your cycle but it will potentially cut down on nitrates which is always a good thing :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

2 Not allowed!
    If the BB colony was altered by your meds. an ammonia reading may show up in the next few days.
    As fishmommie said, 0ppm nitrate in a tank can be normal.
    I too have a 0ppm nitrate reading in my tank which has been running for over a year.
    Like you it's lightly stocked.
    Just watch for ammonia in case your meds. did effect your BB for the next few days. If it did you know what to do. Water changes.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.