· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question 20 gal filtration options

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20 gallon high low light planted (java fern and anubia) tank I would like to stock with the following:

1 betta
    6-8 stop light tetra
    5 corys
    3 nerite snail

I currently have an Aquaclear 30. Thank you to those who have helped me learn that this is not enough for the tank.
    Considering the Betta and other stock in the tank... flow being a concern

Should I...
    replace the Aquaclear 30 with an Aquaclear 50?
    OR
    Get another Aquaclear 30? (I understand this may be a very good option for the bioload, but is it ok for the Betta?)
    OR
    Get an Aquaclear 20?

Thank you for all your help!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Balavalidus View Post
    Get an Aquaclear 20? Thank you for all your help!
    Yup, get an AC20, that's what I would do. Welcome.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didnt even know bettas didnt like flowing water but thats interesting.

I've just set up a 20 gallon tank myself and Im using an aquaclear 50. My tank is roughly 120cm long (4ft), 20cm wide, (9inch?), and 38cm high (14 inches), and I have the HOB set up on the side of my tank because I wanted some decent flow from one end to the other (ideally this would have been better with a cannister filter but im cheap), and I'm thinking of adding a powerhead because its not enough to each the other side, obviously if your tank is more of a square shape youre going to notice more disturbance from the filter.

Theres a few things I would keep in mind.

The Aquaclears 20 to 70 all use the same electric motor but with increasingly larger impellers which increases the turbulence in the filter. This is a cool feature, as you could essentially take an impeller from a 30 and run it in a 50 so that you have a larger filter volume but with a similar flow to the 30, though I havnt tried this myself. The changes between the filters is the size of the HOB itself, the impeller and the inlet pipe. Now obviously you want the biggest size filter you can, the more filtration the better, and with this possibility of swapping out the impeller for a small size you should be able to go a 30 or even a 50 with maybe the impeller from the size below. keep in mind the size of the inlet plays a part in the flow aswell.... Ive spent ages writing this... I suck at articulating words to explain concepts, takes me so long aha. If you want I'll record a video of me talking for a minute and thatll be easier for me :P

But I think you should replace the 30 for a 50. I can explain why but I'm struggling tonight aha. Even if you find the water flow too strong in the 50, theres tricks you can do other than swapping the impeller.

0 Not allowed!
    You could also ad a sponge filter... I use AC30s and then a API Hydro Pro II (i think - the ones rated for 20g) on my tanks and they work great - plus then half the tank has low flow - which the betta will love

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh Triton, nearly didnt recognise you ;)

Thats a good point, In my 15 gallon I only have an el cheapo air sponge thingy, and thats my best looking tank at the moment :p

0 Not allowed!
    As I'm sure you know, the Aquaclears have a flow control valve that you can adjust to maximize or minimize the current. How well they actually work varies.

I would go with an AC50, or if you use less, augment it with another filter. In a 20-high, I would also piggyback the intake tubes (one inside of the other) to reach as far down into the tank as possible.

Don't forget the prefilter sponge.

--mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I you want to use your current filter, I agree on adding an AC20. If not, you can go with an API Filstar XP-S canister, rated for 45 gal. Less flow, great filtration for a 20 gal.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the advice!

After doing a fair bit of reading, I think I will probably go with an AC20 and I will piggyback the intake tubes and use prefilter sponges.

I think this will be beneficial for the corys as well as the general population.

0 Not allowed!
    that sounds like a good idea. I have a AC50 on my 20gal long, and even at the lowest setting my betta didn't like it. I ended up swapping out the impeller for one out of a AC30 as stated above and in other threads.