· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 8 of 90 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    OK good luck...read all of the "stickys" in the beginner section that you can, alot of your answers to potential questions you have will be found there

Thank you! I'll post pictures of what comes in this kit when I unbox it in the next few days.

0 Not allowed!
    OK, we'll check it out then.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Unboxed it real quick to take a look inside.

It comes with a Tetra Whisper 30i Filter, the hood, and food, etc. It also looks like I have to attach the LEDs myself somehow, something I wasn't expecting.

010.jpg
    011.JPG
    012.JPG
    013.jpg
    014.JPG

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Reading online, I've found that the type of LEDs that come with these kits are a no-go. They aren't all that great for growing plants, which is the reason I bought this, because I thought the LEDs were in the 6500K spectrum. Well shoot.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    While picking up this kit today though (which I'm going to take back), I did glance over and notice the sad looking Betta fish in their coffee cup sized containers. I feel bad for the little things. Sad life.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    you may have to go with Kevin's offer. that or toss those led's and put better ones in there. But that is the same hood they sell buy itself for like $30 at walmart where they provide the led's but you have to string them through.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I'll take his offer, but minus the tank. I'm still shooting for a 29 gallon to fit the stand.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My 20 is this exact kit I got at Walmart here in Chicopee. So here are a few of my opinions/notes. The tank is great. I like the hood and LED, BUT if you want lots of plants and thusly upgrade the lighting, you need a clear top now too. The hood has 5 LED modules that snap into place, each module has 3 LED's for a total of 15. Also has a nice slide switch and decent length cord to a low power adapter. The nice thing is, if you get a future 55, which is a Tetra tank, at Petco $1 gallon sale, these lids fit and you can buy them separate at Walmart. Beware the Aqueon 24" Versa lids DO NOT fit these tanks! The LED lights while ok for the fish and a few plants, are NOT in any way shape or form good for reef. Another nice thing is that Walmart sells the metal stand that perfectly fits and no tools needed for $29. The filter is crap, so I bought an Aqueon Bio. One mistake I made was that I grabbed the cheapest heater. NO adjustment period. IIRC the temp is 78 period. I still save it for a spare though.
    My Petco just came off the $1 gallon sale I believe yesterday. The girl says 4 times a year, so now it's a few month wait. I would grab the Walmart setup if I couldn't wait. The stuff you replace/upgrade can always be used as spares or backups.
    55 Gallon community tank.
    55 Gallon Cichlid in progress.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    29 Gallon, Planted with my Panda Garra fry.
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "While picking up this kit today though (which I'm going to take back), I did glance over and notice the sad looking Betta fish in their coffee cup sized containers. I feel bad for the little things. Sad life."

OMG you should see the carnage going on at the Springfield Walmart. One tank had 2 Pictus cats COVERED in ick, near death. Some D***weed put an entire shipment of Bala sharks in there and ALL were getting ick. Another tank had some real pretty platies, too bad 20 of the 30 or so were dead and floating. I didn't walk, I ran out of there never to return. Our Chicopee Walmart has no fish thank goodness!
    55 Gallon community tank.
    55 Gallon Cichlid in progress.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    29 Gallon, Planted with my Panda Garra fry.
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I've been very disappointed with the stock at my local Walmart. It's clear they have no idea what they're doing. =/ At least Petsmart and Petco have people on-hand at all times, who do water changes and keep tabs on water params.... Walmart is always lacking in fish handlers when I go over there. Gotta' feel bad for the fish. Getting sent to Walmart is almost assuredly a death sentence.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Page 8 of 90 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast