· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 70 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had to test for nitrates twice, as I did it wrong the first time (didn't read the instructions lol), but the second time came up with a reading of 5 ppm!

2 Not allowed!
    That's about as perfect as you can get it, man. Go get some frogs! =]

And don't stop dosing ammonia every day until you do.

Oh, and congrats!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is actually really really exciting lol. I went from knowing nothing about a tank at all, to completely cycling it. Now I do an almost 100% water change the day before I get the frogs? Or the day of? Or does it matter?

2 Not allowed!
    It doesn't really matter. Do it the day before, so you clear up your nitrates - test to make sure they're clear (5-10ppm is perfectly fine). You'll continuously produce nitrates, as you feed ammonia, so your current reading could change. Then go get your frogs. Acclimate them to your tank water/temp and pop them in. You don't really have to drip acclimate them, as you're buying them in same area. The water they're kept in will pretty much be the same or very similar to yours, so the only thing you need to worry about is temperature. Takes about 15min to get them acclimated to the temp, then drop them in.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    It doesn't really matter. Do it the day before, so you clear up your nitrates - test to make sure they're clear (5-10ppm is perfectly fine). You'll continuously produce nitrates, as you feed ammonia, so your current reading could change. Then go get your frogs. Acclimate them to your tank water/temp and pop them in. You don't really have to drip acclimate them, as you're buying them in same area. The water they're kept in will pretty much be the same or very similar to yours, so the only thing you need to worry about is temperature. Takes about 15min to get them acclimated to the temp, then drop them in.

Thanks Kev! What I'm considering is maybe getting them one at a time so that I can make sure that things will be fine. That way I don't put them all in at once and risk losing all of them. Figured I'd add one or two every other day.

1 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't do that. You've built your BB to 1.5ppm or so, right? You won't be able to sustain that amount of BB with only one frog and your time cycling your tank will have been wasted. I would add either all of your stock or half. The frogs you get will not create that much ammonia in their waste and the BB will grow as the frogs grow.

Also, 1-2 days is not enough time to allow your BB to grow, to compensate for added bio-load. You'd need to wait at least a week or so.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, so then I plan on having 5 frogs, so could I add 2 at first, then add 3 more later? And yeah, my ammonia is around 1-1.5 ppm

1 Not allowed!
    I would add all of them at the same time. These frogs do not produce a lot of waste.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I would add all of them at the same time. These frogs do not produce a lot of waste.
    Well it's not so much waste really, it's just a fear of something being off and losing them all at one time. Then it'd be a waste of money and I'd feel bad lol

1 Not allowed!
    It is waste... Waste = bio-load. You built your BB for a reason. So you could add livestock. Don't be afraid to add the livestock. lol

Page 70 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast