· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 57 of 98 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    yea you are right kevin. if you are doing frogs only you could probably let it set or dose it up to 2 ppm. but any future dosing since nitrites are showing would only be up to 1 ppm
    Yep, I plan on only having frogs, probably about 4 of them.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    if that is going to be your only inhabitants I think a 1ppm ammonia reading is fine now you let it set until drops to zero - test daily at roughly the same time
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if that is going to be your only inhabitants I think a 1ppm ammonia reading is fine now you let it set until drops to zero - test daily at roughly the same time

I mean if you all think it's necessary I'll add another 2 ml's of ammonia, but I don't see how my readings can be so low after so many heavy doses.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    only thing I can think of it was low dose ammonia to begin with not what they have been telling you. because with my 10% ammonia 3/4 of a ml took it to 2 ppm
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

1 Not allowed!
    Yep, you have a weak ammonia. You should be ok with 1ppm, if you're starting with juvies. The bb will grow as they get older. Also, your plants will help buffer the bioload. Not by much, but a little.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So then what do you all suggest I do?

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    if you plan on getting 4 juvi frogs (which is what most places would stock) you can keep it at the 1 ppm, now just test nightly. once the ammonia hits 0 ppm and you have nitrites registering then you dose back to 0.5 ppm ammonia otherwise it is a full dose back and you keep doing that until nitrites are at zero.

once you get ammonia and nitrites staying at zero and you have nitrates registering then your tank is cycled. at which point you get your frogs. but if you don't get them right away you keep doing back to .5 ppm daily until the day before
    Current tanks:

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if you plan on getting 4 juvi frogs (which is what most places would stock) you can keep it at the 1 ppm, now just test nightly. once the ammonia hits 0 ppm and you have nitrites registering then you dose back to 0.5 ppm ammonia otherwise it is a full dose back and you keep doing that until nitrites are at zero.

once you get ammonia and nitrites staying at zero and you have nitrates registering then your tank is cycled. at which point you get your frogs. but if you don't get them right away you keep doing back to .5 ppm daily until the day before

Thanks! I'll leave it alone for now and test tomorrow night.

What's interesting is that the Crypts I put in the back (the ones that get big) appear to be dying (Kevin told me that's normal), but my ferns on the log seem to be growing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    yea crypts will often melt after you put them in a tank and then they grow back from what others have said and what I have read.
    Current tanks:

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea crypts will often melt after you put them in a tank and then they grow back from what others have said and what I have read.
    This has been my experience as well.

-S

Page 57 of 98 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast