· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 20 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    You know, I've been thinking about the PFS thing. Does it matter whether the sponge in on the intake or inside the filter? Both are still part of the water column, and I think it's just as easy to pull the basket out of the AC filter and rinse every thing as it is to rinse the PFS. There's still a need to rinse either one so it really doesn't matter??
    Maybe you can go longer between cleanings? I don't know. I did have one of the smaller Cardinals get sucked in once but it was strange because he had been in tank for months.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    You know, I've been thinking about the PFS thing. Does it matter whether the sponge in on the intake or inside the filter? Both are still part of the water column, and I think it's just as easy to pull the basket out of the AC filter and rinse every thing as it is to rinse the PFS. There's still a need to rinse either one so it really doesn't matter??
    I think the only difference is the fact that RCS can get sucked into the filter if there is no PFS...I've had that happen a few times...and the dang pond snails, too...I really don't want them mucking up my filters...just my thoughts
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    If you're trying to keep plant debris, fry or shrimp out of the filter, then it makes sense to use a prefilter. User preference I guess.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    If you're trying to keep plant debris, fry or shrimp out of the filter, then it makes sense to use a prefilter. User preference I guess.
    You're absolutely right...and I forgot about plant debris, good call

1 Not allowed!
    Lee, your tank is really something man. I love the activity and you have such beautiful stock. Kudos, brother.

As for prefilter sponges: Those are exactly the reasons I want to use them... keep shrimp, snails and plant matter out. The more of that crap that gets in the filter, the more likely your nitrates will get out of hand. I had that exact problem when I took my PFS's off the first time. You typically don't care about having to flush the snails, but whenever I see shrimp, I want to save them... and that takes at least 20min to get them out of the filter and into the tank again. lol

Now that I have these again, however, I must complain again, because my new PFS are getting clogged up really quickly. It looks as though I have to clean them out at least three times a week... which is annoying. Depends on the tank, too, because it doesn't typically happen in my 75, which has the same PFS's. What's a guy to do?!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again "plantmaster", I just wish I could shoot better video's, I'm going to try my son's phone it's a newer model.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Lee, your tank is really something man. I love the activity and you have such beautiful stock. Kudos, brother.

As for prefilter sponges: Those are exactly the reasons I want to use them... keep shrimp, snails and plant matter out. The more of that crap that gets in the filter, the more likely your nitrates will get out of hand. I had that exact problem when I took my PFS's off the first time. You typically don't care about having to flush the snails, but whenever I see shrimp, I want to save them... and that takes at least 20min to get them out of the filter and into the tank again. lol

Now that I have these again, however, I must complain again, because my new PFS are getting clogged up really quickly. It looks as though I have to clean them out at least three times a week... which is annoying. Depends on the tank, too, because it doesn't typically happen in my 75, which has the same PFS's. What's a guy to do?!
    if I'm not mistaken, you bought the Fluvals, correct?...Taurus warned me that they clog pretty quickly...he even had one he was gonna send me for free, but I am glad he talked me into buying a big 'ole AC110 sponge and cutting it up into pieces and using that instead....working great so far, been on the Eheim for about a month now, and i could easily go 2 weeks w/out cleaning it...i do it wekly, though, at each PWC.

2 Not allowed!
    Punt...the Broncos should have. You need courser (must be a word because spell check didn't flag it) sponges. But not too course. Sounds like a loosing game.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    But I had the AC sponges before! I still have them on my 20Ls.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    But I had the AC sponges before! I still have them on my 20Ls.
    As pre-filter sponges?....you didn't like them?...I can't remember now why you wanted to try the Fluvals

Page 20 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast